MS Harborfest Lobster Boat Races
Portland Yacht Services
Portland
Info: Jon Johansen (207) 223-8846

September

Pirate Festival
Lobster Boat Race
Eastport
For the Eastport race, I believe the contact is John Miller. The pirate festival is quite a tight knit group, so probably anyone with anything to with it will have information regarding the race and activity's of the weekend.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Yeah it isn't really a bonafide race but they wanted to be on our schedule, don't know too much about it myself. Going to try to get up that way this year, might even take the boat if fuel is reasonable.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
Rumor on street is they are only running half throttle this year because of $5.00 diesel this year. Oh well 20 knots is still fast.

Dave

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
What would be the best race for someone to come watch that has never been to one?

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
Travis: You might want to identify the points races for those who don't know (and don't know the distinction).

Tunaorlater: Depends on whether you're watching from shore or boat. The early season venues are often fogged out (or should be). Moosebec is the grand dame (and the one to go to if you're just going to one).

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
Boat Make
Points Races

Boothbay Harbor - Points Race - Best viewed via boat - First race of the season, everyone gets to see who has done what over the winter, old rivalries are revitalized - first half of a double header weekend - Access through Brown's Wharf or the co-op, there is a ramp somewhere - Awards are held in various places in town.

Rockland - Points Race - Rockland Breakwater if you're a land lubber - One of the best attended races, lots of prizes bring the local boys out and the big boats from the islands - bring an anchor because chances are you will be rafted up with others having a party - second half of a double header weekend - Access through O'Hara's North facility (including ramp for those of you with trailers) - Awards held at O'Hara's North.

Bass Harbor - Non-points Race - Best viewed via boat - Started last year this race is strictly for fun, wasn't even an entry fee - Blessing of the fleet takes place after the awards for the races. (it's actually in Bernard, but we won't talk about that) - Access is through the fisherman's pier, however space is limited so bring an anchor and possibly a skiff, there are open lobster floats to tie up to in the harbor. I think there's a ramp on the Bernard side, I was distracted by a tall brunette so I really don't remember. Awards are at the Fisherman's Pier following the race, blessing of the fleet is afterwards.

Moosabec Reach - Points Race - Beals Island Bridge if you're a land lubber - The bridge used to be the finish line, but after a boat found one of the piling supports that ended that. Not uncommon for boats to pass under the bridge now though. - Access is through the town dock up behind the breakwater in Jonesport as well as the co-op near the bridge - bring an anchor and boat-pool in to go ashore after the races, awards are held at the Coast Guard station.

Searsport - Points Race - Mosman Park or the town landing if you're a land lubber - First half of a double header weekend - Come buy a t-shirt or two (I work really hard on them, come support my race!) Access is through the town wharf, including ramp. Trailer parking is limited at the wharf but trailers and additional vehicles can be parked at Otis Enterprises Marine. Awards are held at the wharf following the races. Come buy some t-shirts!

Stonington - Points Race - Best viewed via boat - Second half of a double header weekend - Access is through the fisherman's pier, there is a ramp there, but used primarily for skiffs, there is a better ramp down winding roads at Billing's and another one a friend found and used, but I have no idea where it is. Awards are held at the pier after the races. Bring a GOOD anchor and watch out for the traps when you set it. Get there early to have breakfast and later in the day crab rolls at the odd fellows hall

Friendship - Points Race - Bring a boat - First half of a double header weekend - A ramp is available, it has gained the name "the ramp from HELL" so it might be prudent to bring someone along to lend a hand, access is from... anywhere you can find. Awards are done after the individual classes, the vessels just stop by the judge float and pick up their prize then motor away. Bring an anchor, if you can find a free lobster float, tie up to it.

Harpswell - Points Race - No dock at this venue, best to bring a boat but there is Mitchell Field if you're a land lubber - Second half of a double header weekend - Remember that good anchor from Stonington? Well I hope you brought it here too, primarily sand bottom, hard to grab with your mud/rock anchor. Fireworks the night before at the carnival but no way to get ashore unless you bring a skiff. Awards are done after the individual classes, stop by the judges float and pick up the prize and you're done. Ramp is located on the other side of the peninsula at Dolphin Marina, I do not know how much they charge for it, dockage space is available there the night before, they wanted 20 bucks a foot last year, so that didn't happen.

Winter Harbor - Points Race - Best viewed via boat - Access is through the commercial dock, ramp is available on the other side of the harbor. - First half of a double header weekend (you need to haul ass to get to the second half before dark) - Awards are at the commercial dock after the races, fisherman's festival takes place during the day and there is a cod fish thing before the awards, usually good food to be had.

Pemaquid - Non-points Race - Top of the tower at Pemaquid Colonial Park if you're a land lubber - Second half of a double header weekend, fireworks in the cove the night before. - Bring your anchor, access is through the Pemaquid Colonial Park, there IS a ramp, and if it's low tide then you are in for a treat! I hope you brought some stout rope so you can back everything into the water on this very gradual slope. Dock space is at a premium after the race so it's probably best to catch a ride in and let everything sit on a couple of good anchors rafted up. Drinking is possible on the dock for the awards, just do it behind the ropes - they're serious about that. Pemaquid runs their own classifications on the boats, gives races the chance to go up against people they normally wouldn't. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not, but ALWAYS a good time. Full bar at the Contended Sole where the awards are done. Fireworks the night before, a little fair going on as well during the day. Fruit smoothies were awesome, and back on the boat they were doctored up a little bit for some of the crew.

Portland - Points Race - Fort Allen Park if you're a land lubber - Part of the MS Regatta (those boring sailboats do their thing the day before, so if you're traveling up then be aware, they WILL be in the way) and there is a tug boat muster after the lobster boat races. Access is through Portland Yacht Services, ramp is located there as well. Dockage is available the night before, bring a good anchor for the race. Awards are held at PYS afterwards and they have a cookout for attendees.

Eastport - Non-points Race - Breakwater if you're a land lubber. - It's Eastport, you're on your own. I don't recall a ramp the last time I was there, being distracted by a blonde. I would suggest bringing an anchor.

Last edited:

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
What would be the best race for someone to come watch that has never been to one?
Mike ,Searsport is a good one to watch from the town dock...bring a hand held vhf...so you can hear what is going on.....moosebec is great but it is so far and the hotel...the red barn fills up quick

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
Boat Make
For those of you who are thinking about participating, there are two different flavors of participation.

Flavor One: Race for fun

Flavor Two: Race for the points challenge

For flavor one, just show up and pay you entrance fee ($20) for the race
For flavor two, you must join the Maine Lobster Boat Racing Association ($20 for the year's dues) and then participate at the various points races, you need 3 to qualify and max out at 50 points (first place gives you ten points, second nine, third 8, etc etc). If you participate in more than five points races, the lowest scores are tossed out. If you are in a race with non-members and they happen to be quicker across the line than you, the points are still awarded as if they weren't in the race. For example a 4 boat race, two entrants aren't members, across the finish line it is a non member, a member, the other non member, then the example boat - instead of the example boat gaining 7 points (4th place) the example boat gets 9 points, because they were in second place as far as the points standings go. At the year end awards banquet the plaques are handed out for first, second and third place. Full color brass placard.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
Boat Make
Mike ,Searsport is a good one to watch from the town dock...bring a hand held vhf...so you can hear what is going on.....moosebec is great but it is so far and the hotel...the red barn fills up quick
The finish line is parallel with the town dock, just outside the mooring field. We have a PA system hooked up for the vhf chatter but usually it is drowned out by the people clamoring on shore. Handhelds are a great addition to any of the races you might attend.

Buy some Searsport shirts!
They sell out quickly
Sweatshirts almost caught the table on fire they were flying off there so fast!

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
The finish line is parallel with the town dock, just outside the mooring field. We have a PA system hooked up for the vhf chatter but usually it is drowned out by the people clamoring on shore. Handhelds are a great addition to any of the races you might attend.

Buy some Searsport shirts!
They sell out quickly
Sweatshirts almost caught the table on fire they were flying off there so fast!
Hey Travis,could you post a picture of the shirts....maybe some of us that are not from the area could buy them from you???

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
Boat Make
havent made the shirts yet but i'll see what i can do

as for breakfast, all the herring you can eat!
different venues have different options, only a few where we have to bring our own. the venues where there are rooms available then that is included (boothbay & rockland) but i need to know soom so i can sweet talk mrs brown into a room, they fill up fast

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
Hey Travis,could you post a picture of the shirts....maybe some of us that are not from the area could buy them from you???
Bring your T-shirt spell checker to Searsport (one year it was spelled "loster" - I guess the T-shirt Committee started before the rest of us)

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
Boat Make
"Lobsbter" I think it was
When we asked about it (after we sold them all) we were told by the printer that the woman who was in charge of lettering the silk screens was from England an that's how they spell it there.

(face palm)

Needless to say we don't use them anymore :)

Top Bottom