First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
Thought I'd ask this here so as not to derail the Libby thread on the builder forum. Regarding the fast Northern Bay 36's that race or have raced in the past with the E9 Macks--are the hulls of those boats modified at all? I have heard that keels have been shaved to reduce drag. I also know that those engines are not stock, but not sure if they have done more to get those crazy speeds out of those boats.

richardh

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
to many
Thought I'd ask this here so as not to derail the Libby thread on the builder forum. Regarding the fast Northern Bay 36's that race or have raced in the past with the E9 Macks--are the hulls of those boats modified at all? I have heard that keels have been shaved to reduce drag. I also know that those engines are not stock, but not sure if they have done more to get those crazy speeds out of those boats.
bone stock she would do 53.2 starlight exspress

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
bone stock she would do 53.2 starlight exspress

I understood that one of the Vinalhaven Osgood's (Alfred or David, I guess) had a boat built by Crowley-Beal (their 36, I believe). I was told that she was mostly Kevlar and was powered by a Detroit. At the time, I never asked about it but I've since wondered about her as Alfred was having the NB finished by an outfit in Massachusetts at about the same time. Does anyone have any information on that Milbridge-built boat?

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
Lifting rails, if you consider that to be a hull modification that is entirely up to you. I have not heard or observed any shaving of keels on any Northern Bay hulls.

Thanks Travis, yeah I figured they had rails, in fact you can see them on the Express in one of the videos out on YouTube. I don't really consider that a hull mod, though others might.

richardh

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
to many
I understood that one of the Vinalhaven Osgood's (Alfred or David, I guess) had a boat built by Crowley-Beal (their 36, I believe). I was told that she was mostly Kevlar and was powered by a Detroit. At the time, I never asked about it but I've since wondered about her as Alfred was having the NB finished by an outfit in Massachusetts at about the same time. Does anyone have any information on that Milbridge-built boat?
the crowley is a 33 and it has a 370 volvo the 36 your thinking about is the hattie rose for longisland the northern bay was finished on vinalhaven

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
the crowley is a 33 and it has a 370 volvo the 36 your thinking about is the hattie rose for longisland the northern bay was finished on vinalhaven

I was fairly certain that it was built for one of the Osgood's and it could well have been a 33 rather than a 36 but the key is the Kevlar build. The boat that I'm speaking of would've been built after S.P.L.I.T. Second or Johnson's Hattie Rose. I had heard that it was being built but I never heard of her again (and then Alfred showed up with his Northern Bay). Next time I run into Jimmy B, I'll ask for some details and post it if its interesting.

Richard: Is David still seining or did he go MW trawling?

richardh

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
to many
I was fairly certain that it was built for one of the Osgood's and it could well have been a 33 rather than a 36 but the key is the Kevlar build. The boat that I'm speaking of would've been built after S.P.L.I.T. Second or Johnson's Hattie Rose. I had heard that it was being built but I never heard of her again (and then Alfred showed up with his Northern Bay). Next time I run into Jimmy B, I'll ask for some details and post it if its interesting.

Richard: Is David still seining or did he go MW trawling?
davids is the lightes on out of the mold to date and kevlar is the hattie

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland
Top Bottom