Maine to Reimburse Commercial Fishermen's License Fees!!

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

CCtuna

Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
People need to stop spending beyond their means and expecting the government to bail their sorry ass out.
L comment. A lot of guys are looking at almost $1000 a day just in bait and fuel and that’s before paying crew, insurance, maintenance, etc. not much left for the capt/owner to take home. Not to mention the lobster price is not great and sounds like it’s gonna get worse. Getting at most 1400 back that they ALREADY PAID is a mere drop in the bucket.

CCtuna

Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
You were the one saying these guys were making all the money last fall, did they spend it already?
I did..? Yes last year was a good one for lobstering along with most other harvesters. That was also after 2 very lean years with Covid where most guys were selling product out of their trucks in a parking lot. Now operating costs have just about tripled and the lobster price is trending weak. Not sure how you can have an issue with these guys just getting their permit and tags free for a year. This doesn’t even affect me I’m from NH and fish as a side hustle, I have a full time job that pays the bills but I think if anyone deserves a little break it’s Maine lobstermen

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

05bill

Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
Finally some good news! Maybe we shouldn’t feed her to the shark in Harpswell!
Yes you should feed her to the shrk !! Knee jerk reaction instead of attacking the problem !!! All these legislative politicians throw money at everything instead of fixing the problem. Drill baby drill and watch inflation come down !!!!

Snake8

1st Mate
If any of you that are all against these "handouts" were consistent in your logic, you should be mad at every industry in this country that gets tax breaks and subsidies, oil and gas, farming, real estate all get huge subsidies. Fishing is one of the least supported industries in this country. And a big FU to anyone that judges a guy who has a nice boat. Those guys worked for those boats, most guys sink every last dollar back into their business. In Maine at least that is the entire value of their business, why wouldnt you invest in it?

Sorry but I cant stand the hypocrisy of saying I worked hard and didnt get shit from anyone while pointing a finger at another guy who did the same thing. You got something, your just not willing to admit it. You got roads to drive on, police and fire to protect you etc etc and on and on. There is plenty to bitch at these days whatever your political flavor, but shitting on guys getting 1400 back seems pretty petty.

Joe blow

Deckhand
What about the 17 year old who worked hard to get a commercial lobster license and gear and a boat but wasn't 18 in January? Kinda sucks but I guess it's a good life lesson starting out

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

traditions

Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
Just this last winter, the lobster industry in Maine was told the tag fees would be once again increased to fund Marine Patrol. Now we are getting the money back from the Governor? How things change in a couple months.Our governor is more interested in making Maine the leader in offshore wind , and the lobster industry is in the way. Gov Mills has taken $ 1.4 million from a right whale conservative group for her re election campaign. She has proposed some large amounts of money for the lobster industry, that she knew would never pass. These handouts of government money do not help the lobstermen in the public eye. If you ever read the comments in any article in local news paper, you find mostly negative comments against the lobster industry. I dont want any handouts or kickbacks from anyone. I just would like to be allowed to work as we have for hundreds of years. This whale issue could possibly change the coast of Maine as we know it forever. There are no right whales where we fish. NMFS says they dont even fly over the GOM any more looking for whales, because they are not there, yet , they impose regulations that make no sense, and then , afew years later, they think up another round of off the wall bullshit they want to impoes, and away we go, with another hair brained regulation thought up by some people that have no clue what they are doing, but have a huge amount of money behind them. This has been going on for close to 20 years, and there is no end to their agenda untill the lobster industry is reduced to a part time hobby, with not enough left to support a full time living.Its all about the big game,Wind Power, and the Maine lobsterman is in the way.

Roccus7

Admiral
Boat Make
2013 22' Eastern Lobsterman
If you ever read the comments in any article in local news paper, you find mostly negative comments against the lobster industry.
So true and I've given up trying to present logic to a vocal group of "self proclaimed" nautical/lobstering experts that couldn't tell the difference between a nun and a can!!

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Fishnjess

Commodore
Handouts? How about reinvestments? And IMHO directly a to labor force. Where I sit it’s a lot better that way then to give a tax break to a company that floats investment over seas. Investment overseas is like foreign aid, never helps the people that pay it!

traditions

Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
Handouts? How about reinvestments? And IMHO directly a to labor force. Where I sit it’s a lot better that way then to give a tax break to a company that floats investment over seas. Investment overseas is like foreign aid, never helps the people that pay it!
These are govt handouts. This money comes from the fed.This is why we are where we are today. Just imagine if people had to justify their existence.. .

Top Bottom