mainship 30 pilot sedan

moetuna

Commander
What do you guys think of these boats ? Look nice , but how do they compare to other 28 - 30 downeast style boats ? thanks

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
There narrow slippery boats. Little power required usually come with 240 yanmars. My friend has one for his wife and now two kids. okay for light cruising.

Roll like hell and the construction is very light. Tiny cockpit and I think they even come with 2 rodholders

kmac is right though. You couldnt compare the mainship to a beal, bhm, holland or any other true DE.

If your just planning on tooling around locally and having drinks then they are fine. Better then a Searay but no workhorse by any means.

moetuna

Commander
Thanks guys. You save me time . I need something more seaworthy . I will keep looking. I'm limited to 30 ft ( slip ) . Make no mistake I will find one and I will have her. Oh yes, I will have her !

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
Well, of course I am prejudiced being an owner of a Mainship Pilot 34, but I disagree with everything that was said above about the Mainship Pilots.

The underbody hull shape is exactly what a true downeaster is: full, built down keel. They don't roll any more or less than any downeaster.

Built lightly, hah! Compare the listed weight for the Pilot 30 hardtop of 11,000 lbs with any of the "true downeasters" listed above. And it isn't "chopper gun" weight although much of it is a full cruising interior weight which the custom builders rarely tell you about. The topsides are fiberglass layed up over balsa core in a mold. Many custom downeasters are fiberglass covered fabricated plywood. Nothing wrong with either, but I prefer the former.

Many Mainship Pilot 30s come with the Yanmar 6LP 315 hp engine which is what I would prefer, but the Yanmar 4LH 240 hp engine will push it nicely as well.

Mainship does build to a price point, but it is one of the best values built in America.

David

Last edited:

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
In the 30 Mainship Pilots defense totally differant hull.

I have a quite a bit of time with the 30 Pilot. I helped my friend wax his boat and when i was spreading the compound/wax with a orbital buffer and could feel the hull flex, tells me theres no way you could compare the hulls integrity to a DE that you would generally see on here.

Like I had previously said, they ride nice and are easy to push, but compare bare hull weight with say a 31 bhm, JC, Duffy, etc I can almost guarantee the Mainships are not laid up anything close to the other DE brands.

Each boat has its nitch. As a serious or semi serious fishing boat I would not be able to put Mainship in that category. Yes you can fish off of them. But totally different platform

Top Bottom