Major Backorders Across All Brands.. A Heads Up.

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
Just wanted to put this out there, if ANYONE is looking to get equipment, doesn't matter the brand, it's across the board. ESPECIALLY transducers as I was quoted an ETA on a few of the most popular Airmar High Wide transducers that we'd be looking at NOVEMBER as an ETA for new orders, although I WAS very lucky in buying 6 of them yesterday from a dealer in the Gulf who doesn't have the same demand for the high wide considering the deeper water wreck fishing down there, although paid a premium but worth it as once they're gone, we're going to hit a screeching halt on all of our Northeast packages especially guys looking for tuna and pelagic species. That said, talking to some high up the food chain, a lot of these transducers that were placed by other distributors over a month ago are looking at LATE SUMMER for delivery..

So we're talking about backorders on everything from MFDs to radars, autopilots, stereos and speakers, batteries and chargers, fishfinders and transducers, underwater lights, even things like battery switches, fuse blocks and fuses, with some of them with ETAs of July at this point; although being friends with the amount of other NMEA dealers around the country, have been able to get SOME stuff sooner but it's looking grim as the days go by.

Again, you guys who know me, I am NEVER someone to push people into ordering stuff sooner than normal, but it's all a combination of the demand which is the highest since the 1980s plus the supply chain issues, a major chip shortage, just a perfect storm. Companies like JL Audio have stopped even giving "ETAs" as so many people are starting to lose patience as these ETAs from the factories are based on when they expect a shipment, but when they arrive, it's less than what was promised and not enough to cover the existing backorders. I expect other factories to start the same and stop giving ETAs, just to manage the expectations for anyone who has been told a date which in almost every case with EVERYBODY, have come and gone with no pieces shipped.

Anyone who is looking to get equipment and parts this season, send me a PM with your phone number, email, the boat make/model/year and what system you would be looking at and as much specifics as possible on what you had in mind, and we'll go from there.

Seriously, every day I put a new order in I'm scrambling to find parts, even NMEA 2000 components, batteries, EVERYTHING. I should have done this sooner, but when I heard November, that's when I realized this was going to be worse than it already has been. I've had to give multiple people refunds on orders placed in the first week of March as guys are getting so pissed, they'd prefer to try to find stuff elsewhere, but these are NATIONAL BACKORDERS. They aren't going to find the majority of stuff, and if you do, you'll be paying full list or more as companies are starting to gauge. We had to pay an extra 20% on batteries this week after looking at a 6 week lead time for DEKAs direct. So far no death threats, but people are starting to curse me out and I'm not alone as the factories and distributors are dealing with the same level of anger. Not going to find the majority of stuff, and if you do, you'll be paying full list or more.

Good luck and pray for me... this has been this biggest challenge I've ever had to face in my career. [EDIT: I was being sarcastic on the 'Pray for me" , as that was more regarding the amount of death threats I'll be getting when I have to keep telling people that their orders placed 2 months ago are still backordered..) That's the only bad part, aside from the headache of trying to find stuff when people are starting to price gouge. Honestly, shouldn't be complaining, but figured I'd vent to the fam..)

Last edited:

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Thanks for the heads up! We also just ran into the same thing regarding Sunbrella fabric for our upholstery project. We were forced to settle for something different than what we wanted.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Wharf Rat

Forum Sponsor
Website
Boat Make
OPB
Good luck making your way Chris. Sounds like it's Not a good time to be in your business. Maybe you should try Commercial fishing. I know it's dangerous but perhaps not quite as potentially dangerous as your job looks it might be. Hope it all works out for you.
Honestly we broke records last month!! The demand is sky high, craziest I've ever seen in my 15 years doing this.. Only problem is with these backorders, it looks like the season might be over before we even get to May. Can't really complain, still expecting the Jets to screw up the draft, the Mets to go ice cold or end up with a certain pitcher on the DL/IL..

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Dslpwr

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
35' Mitchell Cove, 13’ Whaler
Out boards are the same, I’m wondering how much of the container ship back up is part of the problem?

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User
Last edited:

skyeboat

Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
Coastal 27

yanmar

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
26 chesepeake 22 tripp
All of this is B.S. ( just my opinion ) . Prices of everything from personal protection to building materials are through the roof and will never return to reality . Don't mean to be a Debby downer but I've had enough of prices and excuses from these manufactures .

Gayle Force

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
25 ft Tiara Pursuit, 27 ft Eastern, 28 ft Carolina Classic, 34 Calvin Beal
I waited 13 weeks for a sliding door for my new boat.

novivin

Captain
All of this is B.S. ( just my opinion ) . Prices of everything from personal protection to building materials are through the roof and will never return to reality . Don't mean to be a Debby downer but I've had enough of prices and excuses from these manufactures .
You bet it is. I wish people would think and stop spending. Hold onto your cash, see how things play out then. There is no material need beyond the necessary in this life, and even the definition of necessary could be pared back even for relatively “simple” people such as myself. I have too much shit already and can’t even use it all. I hardly want any more than just taking care of the pile of items I have. I do have a house in need of updating indoors, but thank God her bones are good and mechanicals renewed. My washer is getting tired though. Hope I can get a decent one if it decides to shit the bed.

novivin

Captain
Things should level out when the demand returns to normal. Prices can only remain crazy if people have the cash. If the gov. stops fueling this fire then prices should correct some.
I hope they do, because my house needs a new kitchen and two new baths someday!!! I will be doing these myself, but still!!!

Wharf Rat

Forum Sponsor
Website
Boat Make
OPB
I gave up on trying to get a 175hw, 12 degree but if you had one i'd buy it
That's one of the transducers I was given a Late Oct/November lead time.. I saw some on eBay for $1800 and they were gone in a few hours.

EDIT: You look like your boat can handle the fairing block of the B285H-W. It's the same price as the B175HW, and will actually perform BETTER on a downeast hull than one of those flush mounts. Yeah, it's more labor, but they are one of the only High Wide's available as you HAVE to use the 175 with outboards hence the higher demand. I was able to get my hands on B275LH-Ws, but don't think you need to spend the money on one of those just to get a low freq.

Last edited:

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland
Top Bottom