Mako 254 - center pilot full rebuild

Seabird254

Lieutenant
First Name
Jeff
lol but they are tanks, i has a 23 mako before this 254 and they are both solid. same as dusky.

670AkKOl.jpg

0Q6Vdkil.jpg

UaLkk8Gl.jpg

D8E1jOil.jpg

got the last of the stringer glass on, 3 layers 1808 and 3 layers of 1708. Also cored the mounting holes. I smoked off the first attempt at filling them with thick mix to the point that the epoxy cracked and I had to drill them back out. So I decided to core the holes with 1" pvc. Thick mix and a layer of 1708(on rear 1/4" glass), 1" pvc, 1/4 glass puck from the original drill out, then thick mix to fill the gaps. Glassed over the top with 4 layers of 1708 as a backer plate for the mounting bolts. Bolts will also get a large washer. Over complicated something simple, but the heat is real and epoxy cooks quick even when chilled.

I filled the transitions at the ends of the stringers with thick mix, and do a wipe of thick mix with a straight edge to fill any gaps before I lay glass. The white spots you see is resin not air bubbles. Makes it a bit easier to avoid air bubbles if you do it right.

Seabird254

Lieutenant
First Name
Jeff
VNHp5Nal.jpg

TcUVhM7l.jpg

b56iESfl.jpg

HWj1mcjl.jpg

76KOfhpl.jpg

floor down with a layer of 1700. starting to get the cap pieces together. front will be a amsteel rope loop instead of a boweye. It will loop around the piece of stainless pipe i bedded into the bow. Getting there lots of work..I also raised the hull sides in the back to straighten the sheer out. 1/4inch melamine hot glued to the hull side then glassed.

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
76KOfhpl.jpg

floor down with a layer of 1700. starting to get the cap pieces together. front will be a amsteel rope loop instead of a boweye. It will loop around the piece of stainless pipe i bedded into the bow. Getting there lots of work..I also raised the hull sides in the back to straighten the sheer out. 1/4inch melamine hot glued to the hull side then glassed.

Amsteel doesn't have very good UV resistance, are you sure it will make a good replacement for a bow eye?

Seabird254

Lieutenant
First Name
Jeff
they use it on drum ancor winches and normal truck winches so yea I think it should be ok

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
they use it on drum ancor winches and normal truck winches so yea I think it should be ok
I use it on my 4 wheeler winches and they come from the manufacturer with a sleeve to cover the outside wrap so the sun doesn't get to it.

"All fiber and rope companies agree that prolonged UV exposure will damage UHMWPE fibers to some extent. In some cases up to a 20% strength reduction can occur in under a year."

UV Degradation of Synthetic Winch Rope | Factor 55

A boat sitting on the water in direct sunlight as well as having reflected light off the water, all summer long; UV degradation could be a concern. You may want to put a Cordura abrasion guard on the rope before you install it to protect it from the sun. Just food for thought.

Can't wait to see how the build turns out by the way. I like the home built outboard bracket. Was daydreaming of doing something like that myself for my boat, but I think my lack of skills and time will require getting one from Armstrong instead.

Jason S

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User
First Name
Jason

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Thanks for posting photos- the bracket is going to hold twins!!! Nice

Seabird254

Lieutenant
First Name
Jeff
8DE21500-66CC-4B2D-9502-4CC94208D87E.jpeg Thanks yea with the layup/core on the bracket I could put twin 450r on it and likely not have an issue. It’s as stout or more than the hull itself.

Don’t really have scaled drawings of the pilot house which means it will likely change from original thoughts I had. They are hard with smaller boats because of the height required for headroom. I’m thinking making it longer might help.

jweir

Commander
Lite User

Seabird254

Lieutenant
First Name
Jeff
thanks guys its definitely a labor of love lol. The hardest part about this entire build has been not being able to take the boat out fishing. Its a trailer boat so im aiming to be able to get her underway while there are still some things to do.

Pilot house build will be a cool process and ill post a lot of pics. Need to figure out the door configuration. May do a rear entry and love how clean the sides would be with no door but it would depend on livewell placement. I would really like to locate it in the helm seating to be as close to cg as possible but that really limits the rear entry thing. Everything is a compromise especially on small boats

TCL

Captain
Boat Make
Sabre 36 The Captain's Lady
Seabird,
Awesome work.
Question, when completed how is the boat registered? Do you use the original Mako hull ID number? Or is it considered something else, home built Perhaps?
Dave

Seabird254

Lieutenant
First Name
Jeff
No same hull id if anyone asks it’s a bolt on bracket lol

Reactions: TCL
Top Bottom