Manual Bilge Pumps

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Manual Bilge Pumps,

Funny but I haven't seen as many as I used to, the typical bulkhead/deck mounted Whale Gusher or whatnot.

I was thinking about mounting one in my keel just to have. I hate that feeling of having an electrical one fail and have water in there. Of course I actually have two mounted in my keel and then two at the deck above.

On those "gusher" style pumps, do they just have a course screen installed to remove the larger pieces as they pass the smaller pieces?

Anyone ever use a "water witch" switch for turning on an above mounted diaphragm style pump? I know I saw some postings before of those and shower sump pumps but they still looked to be on rule type float switches.

Just sitting here doing some thinking, I just want my bilges to be BULLET proof.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
don;t want to risk burning up an impellar

EngineBilgePump1.jpg

slave pump

Duke

Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
Dyer 29

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
When I was a kid no one had electric pumps.We had tin ginnie metal pumps with the leather flapper and a foot valve on the bottom of the pump.The 6 footers would fill a 5 gal bucket in two pulls.Those were the days for sure,old leaky wooden boats and manual pumps.I still have a couple that aren't rusted out.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I hooked up my raw water washdown off the engine to be able to pump the bilge as well. I do agree about burning up your main engine impeller.

The thing is for $200+$100 in install parts wouldnt seem like a bad idea to me if you just had some water in the bilge to get out. I just know sometimes I have my bilge pumps fail and like to just check the fact with this the ones in the keel.

Not sure I want to get an engine driven pump like the one above, figure if things get that bad the USCG can always drop me a P100 or P250, but we all know how those things start!

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
When I was a kid no one had electric pumps.We had tin ginnie metal pumps with the leather flapper and a foot valve on the bottom of the pump.The 6 footers would fill a 5 gal bucket in two pulls.Those were the days for sure,old leaky wooden boats and manual pumps.I still have a couple that aren't rusted out.

Hey i was thinking about them too !!! the leathers would always rot out and i can still see that big T handle on top !! Thanks for the memories. Guess one could be made out of plastic pipe and sew up a nylon cup for the end of the pole.

WC1966

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Webbers Cove 34
Anyone ever use a "water witch" switch

Bought 1 (6) years ago and just installed it mid-season this year, I filled the compartment to make sure it activated and it did work. Thinking about adding a second pump in the keel as a hardwired backup and will use the Water Witch for that.
I believe Practical Sailor gave it a great review years ago
132348_WIT_230-z_WPM.jpg

The web site had all the diagrams to wire it, because it is different from the Rule that I replaced,
http://waterwitchinc.com/new/SiteElements/Pages/ProductSupportPages/217support.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
Bought 1 (6) years ago and just installed it mid-season this year, I filled the compartment to make sure it activated and it did work. Thinking about adding a second pump in the keel as a hardwired backup and will use the Water Witch for that.
I believe Practical Sailor gave it a great review years ago
132348_WIT_230-z_WPM.jpg

The web site had all the diagrams to wire it, because it is different from the Rule that I replaced,
http://waterwitchinc.com/new/SiteElements/Pages/ProductSupportPages/217support.

I use the johnson ultima. Same principle. It just requires 1/2 of standing water for it to go off.

Top Bottom