Marina Question

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
I was visiting my buddy (a liveaboard) at one of what I would consider to be Cape Cod's premier marinas located near Falmouth a few weekends back

I noticed a sign that was posted to the gangways leading out to the docks stating that slip owners and renters are required to indicate to marina management when they would not be present for a night or an extended duration. Likewise if they had not done so and their boat was not there at a predetermined time of day that they would be presumed to not be returning and that the marina reserved the right to place transient(s) at your slip.

Knowing the price structure of the marina (absolutely ridiculous) as well as multiple slip owners at said marina. I couldn't help but remark to myself if I was coming back in at 2:00am and there was someone tied off to MY dock that I'd paid north of $10k for the season I would let the lines go and tie up to MY dock. A totally asshole move and I'm sure I wouldn't do it....but!

My questions are:
1) is this standard now?

2) has anybody come back to port in the middle of the night and had to find another dock to tie off to since marina mgt pushed a transient into your slip?

3) will/does marina mgt give a "kickback" of some sore to an owner that jets out of town for a week (they are, after all, double dipping)?

4) am I totally off base here for not wanting marina to sublet a dock that I've already paid real good money for?

I don't have a dock, YET, but I am really wondering if marinas are this greedy now.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
A lot of places. Even private clubs rent open slips to transients when they are empty.

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
I know another high end marina on the cape that would not allow you to bring a different boat even though its owned by you. I would say It is not an uncommon practice for some marina rental slips and they do not give you any kickback. Also you can be kicked out for not buying their fuel as well as not allowing any repairs or work done other than washing. Been that way for a while LOL

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
standard procedure here in ak, i never had a slip, 5-10 year wait list and they want you to pay a anual 25-50 buck waiting list "fee" to stay on the list, so i always was transient, i just pulled into any open slip because if you called in to the harbormaster they always assigned me a slip i couldn't fit in. The whitidiots of shittier whittier !!

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
They have been renting out the private moorings at Block Is for a few years now. But from what I was told, they give the owner a 50% kickback. That's not a bad deal if it sits empty most of the time.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Agreed, I'd have no problem if I was getting something out of it.

Anyways, I guess my main question really is have any of you guys come back to your dock, that you paid for an entire season's use, and found someone else's in boat in your slip?

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Just don't tell them when you are going away. What are they going to do ? Shoot you?

What does your buddy live on? How is it working out? I am jealous

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
had this happen to me last year. was renting a slip for a long weekend and the guys who paid for it showed up. So I tied up where the travel lift was. I was out of the slip before he ever went to tie up but did tell him i would move when I was done cutting fish. The guy was a pretty big prick about it too. I know my marina has a clause that says to let them know when you will be gone for a few days or something like that.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
I wish I'd taken a picture of the notice. I think it said if you weren't in your slip by 7:00pm they reserve the right to determine that you're not coming back and reassign it. Obviously if they're going to reassign it, they are running at close to capacity and in this particular marina there are no vacancies. So you roll back into town at 2:00am expecting to tie up your 50 SF and there is no spots - what now?

He lives on a 42' AJ Norris which is a Cheseapeake deadrise that had been converted into a trawler. The boat's got every endorsement known to mankind just about. It's 42x14x5 with a 35' crow's nest. It's a cool boat, 671 Detroit, 8kw(?) genset, engine block heater, etc etc. In the last polar vortex he had to turn the heat off because the wheelhouse hit 90 degrees when he was at work.

restless

Rear Admiral
If I payed 10k for a slip and found some one in it upon my return I would be upset. If it happened more than once I would go out of my freaking mind!!!

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
In my area a few of the marinas have done this before. My buddy has a 50 rybovich and they used his slip while he was in montauk and upon returning found his slip occupied. They did straighten out and jockied the boats around within a day, but yes it is disturbing.

I have been fortunate enough not to have any issues.

Altough I came back one time to find a boat next to me being shrink wrapped in the water and in my slip the guys doing the shrink wrapping had a small skiff in my slip. I told them they have about 15 minutes to remove the skiff while I unload my charter. Half hr goes by and the skiff was still in my slip. Well me being Me, I said screw it and started backing in anyway. Well I was about a foot away from crushing the lil skiff and suddenly the skiff was removed. My point was made and no one ever used my slip again :)

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Nah why get wet when I can stay dry and just crush the little skiff like a potato chip, with the power of the CAT. :D

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Rented a slip at my marina last summer when I had 2 boats for a couple weeks and the yard asked me to pay the slip renter directly. Was about as fair as it could be IMO. Sounds crazy up there.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
"In the last polar vortex"..........nobody was using my slip. Not even me. :lol:
We have a clause that implies it is possible to rent to a transient if you happen to go on vacation. But on our dock, no transient would ever last beyond 10 PM before they decided to move to a more "family oriented dock". :rolleyes: :lol:

Stinkpot

Commander
Boat Make
36' Calvin Beal
Happened to me once. Following marina rules, I notified them that I would be away from the slip for a couple weeks, during which time I'm okay with them re-renting it. I would look to double-dip if I was them too.

Upon returning from an extended trip, I called the marina to let them know I'd be back the next day, expecting to have my slip available. After a 10 hour run from NYC to Noank just after dark, we pulled in to the slip and then realized that all my dock lines were gone - I was F%^$#n' pissed! Fortuantely, my wife calmed me down before I called the marina manager and let him have it. He left his house and was standing on the dock before I finished tying up with spare lines. After a heated discussion, I vowed to never let him know when I'd be coming or going again.

Turned out the boat they re-rented the slip to was in line to be pulled out for the season, and the marina employees who towed it to the lift, took off all my lines and tossed them into that boat which was sitting up in the yard.

I'll give them the respect if I get it in return, but if not, F#$&K 'em.

Toro

Commander
Boat Make
19 Pointer
that marina that posted the sign that way isn't handling it right imhp and comes off antagonistic. ditto for he who thinks its a condo slip, unless it is in fact his condo slip then he's probably right. we've all been in the situation where we needed to tie up somewhere; at that moment we rely on the slip holder and the marina to be coordinated so no one is hassled.

Top Bottom