Marine ac units

BunkerMan

Commander
Looking into buying a ac unit for my TJ I'm not sure how to measure for Btu's or tons. Any help would be great. Looking for a reverse cycle unit and two vents one up in cabin and one down below in v-birth. Looking to install in the next month. I'm local to nyc if anyone happens to have one for sale.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
If you have a West Marine catalog, in the air conditioner section they list the steps to find the proper size unit along with a bunch of helpful tips.
Good luck

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Uncle Morty,I installed a 16k btu unit in a 40 R.P. Wheelhouse and it was not enough ......do to all the windows in the house..(green house affect)...what ever you think you need go a little bigger

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
My nb has a 16btu. Works better if I hang curtains but works ok with out them. I got the mermaids unit from defender, make sure you get a good pump.

Prdlobster

Commander
Try flagshipmarine.com in Stuart Florida. They sell small marine AC units they might have something that would work for you.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
We had a 16 and a 12 in the H&H 40 and the AC could barely keep that area cool. The 12 we had looked at but never seemed to keep the down below cabin cool enough but think it was more circulation than anything else.

I know its ugly, but anyone know if those RV style units for the overhead are any cheaper or do you just save on having a condenser that doesnt need water? I have so much overhead space and just like to take the edge of the heat off.

Whatta Catch

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.whattacatch.com
Boat Make
40' H and H, 31 JC and 25' Carolina Skiff
We had a 16 and a 12 in the H&H 40 and the AC could barely keep that area cool. The 12 we had looked at but never seemed to keep the down below cabin cool enough but think it was more circulation than anything else.

I know its ugly, but anyone know if those RV style units for the overhead are any cheaper or do you just save on having a condenser that doesnt need water? I have so much overhead space and just like to take the edge of the heat off.

I have an overhead AC unit. It has to run for a long time to get it cold. It would help if my windows were tinted more. It really Does help on those hot August days. Im not sure if the cost since it came with the boat. I will post a pic of it on my roof when my I pad charges.

image.jpg

Last edited:

pjitty

Lieutenant
Boat Make
2004 Regal 2465, 19' home built Downeaster
I second the Flagship Marine units. Top Quality and exellent customer service. When I needed to install one in my boat, I called them and they recomended the right size unit for me. . The unit has been flawless for several years...

Joe D

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
want to purchase a unit that is reverse cycle cool/heat. are all theses units heat and cooling?. if not chirp in on which one are. also would like to know aprox weight of units.. thanks , Tommy

DBM

Commander
Lite User

Bawugna

Lieutenant
I installed a Mermaid 9K BTU unit in a 25 Northsider. I went with that unit as it was the smallest footprint I could find and I have limited space. I wedged it in and found that at 9K it was still having difficulty cooling off the cabin, however in the V berth you could hang meat :D At 9K, my unit is 40% oversized for the area I am cooling but the pilot house is essentially like a giant glass bubble and the sun makes it impossible to cool. I had some window covers made with a white exterior and a blue interior. That does wonders and now that I have installed a NicroVent to pull the last remaining heat off the ceiling it is very cool in there. I can only use it at the dock as I don't have a generator...who wants everyone huddled in the cabin while fishing anyway :confused: The unit I got has electric heat (did that so I could run it on the hard if needed.) The original pump that came through with the Mermaid unit was junk, while the rest of the unit appears to be of good quality. I changed it out after just a season or 2 and have been running a Little Giant model that is bullet proof. I have had this unit for about 6 or 7 years trouble free outside of the pump.

As for calculating your BTU needs....the MFGs give cubic footage per unit or per BTU. Just measure your cabin and V berth and go from there. I have a bigger (7"x4") vent in the cabin and a 4" circle one in the v berth.

good luck.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Sure its ugly, but man I really think of putting a unit on the overhead. They seem to be about $1000 less than the water cooled units, never mind adding duct, another two thruhulls and other things... Throw it in and go... again not for classy boats...

DBM

Commander
Lite User

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Funny or not, practical has taken over my ways of doing things lately. Hdeck call it the poor mans way, if you like. CEShawn keep us posted with the model and size btu you choose.. I may be copying you this spring.

Ld Marine Products

Lieutenant
Marine a/c

Hi. Try calling Bob @ Hansen Marine. he sells all things marine motors generators a/c units etc. 781-608-5665 tell him Luis sent you. Good luck

swampratt

Ensign
air flow is critical to good cooling or heating so make sure you have enough return air and don't block off openings. The RV units are ok but the coils will have a shorter life out on the water You can coat the coils with a protective coating that will help with the life of the coil.

Top Bottom