Marine Head

5akman

Commander
Website
www.alldrinsalmon.com
Boat Make
40' Snowball gillnetter
I had the typical pump type head on my houseboat and hated it, so when it was time to provision my AK gillnetter, I bought the unit you are looking at.

I was so rushed getting the boat on the water this season that I didn't even get it hooked up a water source. We just had a few gals of water next to the head that we used to flush with. A quart or two poured in was enough to flush just fine. I have a macerator pump to underwater discharge. All in all, it seems to be a fine unit although we don't have more than about " 5 deposits" worth of use out of it so far! Very heavy construction, especially the tank and is at a perfect, "residential" height.

starrfish

Commander
Boat Make
35 duffy
the 1st thing I am doing when I haul the boat this winter is ripping out the head that's there now....I have "rebuilt" it like a million times works great for a week or 2 then sucks... whats goin in its place is the exact same as what you show..i`m done friggin around with marine heads !

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Awesome info, I am sick of crapping in a bucket, snuck by this charter season without a real toilet but wasn't fun. I will put a little outhouse on the back of the boat for next season but might but the head now.

What are the connections like on the tank under neath, that is one thing I was curious about, was looking for a brochure on it but couldn't track it down. I want to do the typical plumb it down and out or up for when doing it at a station.

starrfish

Commander
Boat Make
35 duffy
many different ways to configure it.. but on mine I will come out of the tank to a y-valve above the waterline. one side will go to the dockside pumpout, and the other will continue to a macerator pump then outward through a discharge seacock.
so when the tanks full you have 2 options, pump out at the dock, or pump through the macerator when legal to do so (offshore).

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Starfish, I agree, but just was curious what the tank connection was like there. I see Jamestown has it in stock, maybe I will just buy it now...

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
I got so sick and tired of sitting on a toilet that was the size of one you probably sat on when you were getting "potty trained". I had enough, bought a full size marine toilet a few years ago. No more feeling like your sitting on the floor, you can also do #1 and #2 at the same time, no more one or the other, but not both at the same time! Cost a lot, a real lot, first trip crew picked on me for spending that much, until, "it was their time". When they emerged from the head, they looked.......happy. They even go down there with the newspaper now (try that with a bucket). After the first trip, they never mentioned the cost again. It's the little things in life..

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
If you are going to have a toilet at deck level, you can go household. It just takes enough drop. Put a through hull on the water line w/ a gate valve and have the shit drop into a holding tank just inboard of that through hull. When you're at sea w/ the gate valve open, the ocean and the motion will keep the tank washed out. A little 3.5 gpm "Blaster" pump pulling from a small through hull, a toilet w/ a tank and you're in business.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Thinking about that bucket reminded me of a time we had this young fisheries grad student on a boat w/ no toilet. He had to shit and just grabbed the bucket and did it. Then he was disgusted by the mess and puzzled about how to clean up the bucket. The captain looked at him and said "you didn't put some water in it first? are you kidding?" Priceless.

WC1966

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Webbers Cove 34
I installed the head you are asking about last year. The installation is straight forward, and simple. The only issue I remember is that the screws that secure the back of the base need to be per-started and use a piece of string to keep the washer up when sliding the base into position.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Seat doesnt look like its residential size though is it?

Looks like the kind of thing that needs a toilet brush nearby too. I think you need a little water pressure to clean the bowl a bit.

I am in the market for a crapper too but will have a separate holding tank.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I got a Thetford head on my last boat, got so ugly, went to West Marine and told them how horrible it was and how the West Marine Tech told me it was better than the Jabsco Twist Lock one. I took his advice and god it always got clogged but was perfect height and "felt great". WM actually refunded my money back after a year and two calls to customer service and no they didnt even want it back. They gave me a rebate for the same money. They had a big push on the Thetford and it was horrible.

These 5 day trips are killing me. I think I am just going to mount it on deck for right now as is, where is, ha. Perhaps just get a shower curtain LOL

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Maybe a long skirt to wear while you are "going"?

5akman

Commander
Website
www.alldrinsalmon.com
Boat Make
40' Snowball gillnetter
Connections are a vent line (5/8" I believe, 1/2" water in and then 1" or 1 1/2" out). All are at the mating line between the tank and bowl and exit aft of the unit. There is nothing going out the bottom of the tank although I'd thought about some type of compression fitting in the bottom going to a valve and then overboard. Seat is not residential size.

Awesome info, I am sick of crapping in a bucket, snuck by this charter season without a real toilet but wasn't fun. I will put a little outhouse on the back of the boat for next season but might but the head now.

What are the connections like on the tank under neath, that is one thing I was curious about, was looking for a brochure on it but couldn't track it down. I want to do the typical plumb it down and out or up for when doing it at a station.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Toolate, do not joke like that... There dudes on a boat... lol just kidding...

Madchark

Commander
Shawn,

I installed that head unit when I built the Emily Rose and have no regrets. Plumbed into the fresh water system and ran a macerator to another holding tank. Works pretty slick for the ladies. I still shit over the stern door, old habbits are hard to break.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Toolate, do not joke like that... There dudes on a boat... lol just kidding...

I would rather see a man "go" (on deck anyway) with a skirt on than without.

Thinking maybe a long kilt so at least it would have its roots somewhere in male attire. Each guy should probably get his own I think. haha

Top Bottom