Mass For-Hire Loa taken away

myentourage

Commander
Ok all the Mass For Hire charter captains out there what is your take on the removal of the LOA (letter of authorization) for black seabass? So far with the way things are right now i think we got screwed. Any thoughts? or ideas that can be brought up at some meetings? Why do For-Hire charter captains have the same fishery regs as the recreational person who wants to go fish off a bridge? What is the benefit of paying to go on a fishing trip?

greg

Captain
What is the benefit?

You don't have to own your own boat. You don't have to spend every spare moment and dollar you have fixing stuff that breaks (sometimes by stupid guests). You don't have to wash the boat, or make bait, or run back to the boat the day before a tip to fuel up. You don't have to spend thousands on gear.

You do get to show up 30 minutes before you leave and you can walk off when you get back. Usually someone else cleans your fish.

If the weather is bad, you don't have to go. If the fishing sucks, you don't have to go.

Chartering is recreational fishing. I'm not sure what else you expect? (and yes, I do have a charter license).

I don't fish from Mass and don't have any opinion on LOA's. Sorry for your loss though.

Last edited:

myentourage

Commander
Well Googinhater is from Mass. So you agree that the for hire regs should be the same as recreational?You should come to some of the state meetings and voice what you just said and see what some other captains may think of that. I guess you are in favor of the removal of the Letter of Authorization for the Seabass in Mass. Just Saying..

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
I absolutly agree with googanhater. I hate the fact that in RI, when commercial fisherman can only keep 5 striped bass a day, and they can only do that for a few weeks while it is open. Also, Commercial fisherman are not allowed to take stripers on friday and saturday because the charter assholes have bitched that commercial fisherman are competing for the business of the charter boats.

Now lets say that The commercial season for bass is open for 6 weeks. If I go every day and get my limit which it is not likely that I will do, but if so that means that I would take 150 fish per season.

Now lets look at the charter boat. Six people per boat, 2 fish per person per. X Two or three trips a day= 24-36 fish per day. Now lets say that that boat fishes 50 days per season. Thats 1200-1800 fish that the charter boat gets to kill per season.

Thats easy math for you. Then the charter guys, and douche bags like stripers forever get together and bitch that the commercial fishermen are killing all the stripers. Apparently they do not own a fucking calculator.

And if you do the math you will see that the #s are also off set with other species also.

There should be an annual species specific quota for all charter boats just the same as there is for the commercial fishermen. Its really not fair that the government will regulate the shit out of the guys who kill fish themselves for a living, But will let people pay people to take them out to kill the same fish with very little restriction. To the best of my knowlege the charter guys dont even have to log there catch. I think that they should have to. Just my opinion.

myentourage

Commander
Wow i didn't know that googinhater was trying to say that. I guess you spoke for him. I was simply asking opinions of for hire guys having the same regs as recreational fisherman. Now you are comparing commercial to for hire. What is the difference of a guy going out with his friends just for fun and they catch 2 fish per man and a charter captain going out catching the same amount. This is what im trying to say, for hire shouldn't fall under the same category as recreational fishing. If its recreational fishing than why do i have to claim income from this at the end of the year??? If i am doing this to make my living and have to pay taxes at the end of the year than i want separate regulations for my operation.

myentourage

Commander
For what its worth im not talking about stripers, im not in that business. I catch scup, and seabass. I dont really here any feedback from commercial seabass and scup fisherman complaining about the charter guys. I'm sure some Vineyard charter captains that make a living with striper charters would be very interested in your outlook. I don't really think we are on the same page.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
Im not sure how it works in MASS. All Im saying is that in RI, I dont think that it is nearly as regulated as it should be.

greg

Captain
Boy that got dug into the muck fast.

First point, it is NOT the charter that keeps the fish, it's the angler. Second point, you are talking about a completely different population of fish from a quota standpoint. Rec's get x tons, comms get y tons. How those tal's get distributed among the people in the pool is irrelevant. Thjey could let each rec fisherman keep 100 fish a day, but the season would be very short. Same amount of fish taken.

Quit your bitching. If one exists at all, Stripers are one of the only fish that has an advantage to the rec sector. Don't like that? Send some money to stripers forever, I'm sure they will help you out. ;)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom