Mass offshore lobster trap permit?

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
I'm confused. If you have a federal area 1 license you can legally catch lobster in federal waters. So this is basically a lobster landing license that has nothing to do with actually fishing in mass waters but they do not issue this permit.

Does mass not have a stand landing license that covers landing lobster not caught in state waters like NH, RI and CT do?

A bonus question. How the hell do these states have trap limits assoiated with what is basically a landing license for persons not even fishing in a freaken states waters

Last edited:

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I'm confused. If you have a federal area 1 license you can legally catch lobster in federal waters. So this is basically a lobster landing license that has nothing to do with actually fishing in mass waters but they do not issue this permit.

Does mass not have a stand landing license that covers landing lobster not caught in state waters like NH, RI and CT do?

A bonus question. How the hell do these states have trap limits assoiated with what is basically a landing license for persons not even fishing in a freaken states waters

I think you need a landing something for landing lobsters in Ma. State permits and federal permits are a limited number. Lobster can also be landed via by catch from gill net and draggers. Some gill net boats average landing more weight than lobster boats.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
I cant find any landing license and Why would they have an "offshore permit" for lobsters taken outside state waters and a landing permit ( which they don't list)

Total confusion

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I cant find any landing license and Why would they have an "offshore permit" for lobsters taken outside state waters and a landing permit ( which they don't list)

Total confusion

The landing permit would be for out of state boats and the Fed permit/other permits cover the holder if the boat is registered in Ma which could also include boat licenses. I just mailed in my permit so I can't look up all the different things that can be checked off.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Oh ok . Ill call about the landing license to see if lobster is covered for out of state boats. As my legal residence is CT and there is pretty much no way I can change that.

Lucky Ticket

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Northcoast
Bycatch permit = bulls t

This is just another bycatch permit for in state an out of state draggers.It gives them a 100 lbs a day of lobster per day.The state has a limited entry permit for lobster i think this permit is bs. These draggers high grade all day long and funny thing is they bring in only selects? The state wont let anyone in but gives a permit for these draggers is horse sht. We have to document an apprentice ship on the stern but an out of state dragger can pay 500 and fish tomm. BS

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Oh ok . Ill call about the landing license to see if lobster is covered for out of state boats. As my legal residence is CT and there is pretty much no way I can change that.

Yea , that could be a tricky one... You could get a Area 1 fed permit and have the Home port of the boat Glouster and I think you would be covered. If you have no other lobster permit you probably could do it. If you can't, I think you can get a NH landing permit. I am positive all those fed permits are not backed with state permits for landing, DMF would have the answers.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
I think the landing permit is the catch 22 for Ma and Me. Seems kind of nuts you can legally fish fed 1 but not sell your fucking catch :?

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I'm pretty sure a area 1 fed permit does not give you landing privileges in Maine even if you live in Maine and moore in Maine.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
I'm pretty sure a area 1 fed permit does not give you landing privileges in Maine even if you live in Maine and moore in Maine.

A catch-22 is a paradoxical situation from which an individual cannot escape because of contradictory rules.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
A catch-22 is a paradoxical situation from which an individual cannot escape because of contradictory rules.

LOL yup Maine is trying to preserve their traditional lobstering industry while Ma is trying to get rid of theirs. The waterfront became to valuable to allow a fishing industry have a foot hold near it.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
LOL yup Maine is trying to preserve their traditional lobstering industry while Ma is trying to get rid of theirs. The waterfront became to valuable to allow a fishing industry have a foot hold near it.

That's how it was in FL. Rules changed and couldn't keep the boat behind the house. Moved the boat to a local slip with fuel, ice and a buyer for 365 a month. Marina and channel got silted in and tree huggers blocked .gov from dredging. Moved to a slip 20 miles away for 475 a month no fuel, ice or buyer on site. tied to a bulkhead like an asshole.

Then the NMFS destroyed all three fisheries we were in. Get fucked

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Offshore Lobster Permit allows the landing and sale of lobsters (to a licensed dealer) taken outside of the coastal waters of the commonwealth only; pursuant to a federal lobster permit. The permit may be endorsed to take and sell shellfish and finfish at no additional cost.

Top Bottom