matching mat

tburke

Lieutenant
Time to do some interior FG mods to a lobster boat. All of the interior finishes appear to be painted FG mat rather than gel coated liners. Looking more carefully at it, it's remarkably uniform with no mat seams visible and the longest strands look coarser and longer (1 1/4") than I remember 3/4 oz mat. How can I tell if they finished off the house and cabin interiors with a chopper gun?

Regardless, what kind of mat has the best chance of matching if a new and an old surface is butted together?

Thanks a lot for your ideas

shredded mat

What you described seem like it was laid in with a chopper gun, unless you see any obvious edges. Making the transition to new mat either 3/4 or
1 1/2 ounce mat can be made by shredding the mat ( pulling it apart with your hand). Wetting out the shredded material and rolling it in along the transition should blend in well

tburke

Lieutenant
Matching mat to a chopper gun finish

Thanks. Sounds doable.

Which spec mat has the best chance of matching the high/deep profile of a chopper gun. Fingers can feel each top most fiber individually. My experience with mat is it ends up fairly flat.

Thanks again for your help.

Top Bottom