Material between strut and shaft?

1rider

Lieutenant Commander
I am new to inboard power and have been learning on the fly so to speak... I was under the boat this weekend getting her ready for launch and noticed there is what looks like some sort of poly/plastic liner between the strut and shaft. I also noticed there is a very small amount of play in the shaft, if I push up it moves slightly within this plastic liner material inside the strut.

What is the material? what is the required maintenance/replacement practices? Is a slight amount of play ok?

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

1rider

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks guys. I will need to pull the shaft it would appear, is it as simple as loosening it from the coupler and sliding it out?

Any other maintenance I should perform while doing this?

Lastly, should I do this myself? I would say I have very good mechanical skills but if I should get a professional I will.

Thanks for the help.

1rider

Lieutenant Commander
IMO, 1st time strut change with shaft removal?????
maybe get someone with ya who has done a few and has the tools :D

The only two guys I know I trust will not be able to help, they are beyond busy right now! I will have to figure something out...

They have tools that will pull cutlass bearing with shaft in place if its a strut.

That would certainly simplify things.

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
You have a chance it can come out and you can make a tool out of a piece of pipe cut slit in half or so and a thick piece of steel wielded so you can strike it with a hammer. Never know might work just make sure you get set screws out and do not go crazy and peen the cutlass to make it harder for a mechanic to remove with hyd unit. If on trailer check boat yards to see if they have the HYD remover and can get off and replace if you do want to try it yourself.

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
Thanks guys. I will need to pull the shaft it would appear, is it as simple as loosening it from the coupler and sliding it out?

Any other maintenance I should perform while doing this?

Lastly, should I do this myself? I would say I have very good mechanical skills but if I should get a professional I will.

Thanks for the help.

On the Albin, early on I needed to replace the cutlass bearing in the shaft stern tube. I removed the tube and brought it to H&H for them to use their press for R&R. I had my mechanic do the alignment when it all went back together. Had H&H press a new cutlass bearing in my rudder shoe as well. I'll have the wrench man in the boat yard aboard Pitou sometime this week after Wednesday. Can let you know when if you want to stop by to arrange for some help.

You definitely want that done before launch.

BTW - Saturday was a good day! :cool:

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
On the Albin, early on I needed to replace the cutlass bearing in the shaft stern tube. I removed the tube and brought it to H&H for them to use their press for R&R. I had my mechanic do the alignment when it all went back together. Had H&H press a new cutlass bearing in my rudder shoe as well. I'll have the wrench man in the boat yard aboard Pitou sometime this week after Wednesday. Can let you know when if you want to stop by to arrange for some help.

You definitely want that done before launch.

BTW - Saturday was a good day! :cool:

Reading hear about the tool to possibly do it in place sounds pretty good to me.

Not a bad idea to mention your discovery to Ed. He just might surprise you had have just the tool in his shop. He's actually pretty well equipped and very knowledgeable. In the old days the marina was full service and full of inboard boats.

1rider

Lieutenant Commander
You have a chance it can come out and you can make a tool out of a piece of pipe cut slit in half or so and a thick piece of steel wielded so you can strike it with a hammer. Never know might work just make sure you get set screws out and do not go crazy and peen the cutlass to make it harder for a mechanic to remove with hyd unit. If on trailer check boat yards to see if they have the HYD remover and can get off and replace if you do want to try it yourself.

I have a full machine shop here at work so I may be able to make something.
Reading hear about the tool to possibly do it in place sounds pretty good to me.

Not a bad idea to mention your discovery to Ed. He just might surprise you had have just the tool in his shop. He's actually pretty well equipped and very knowledgeable. In the old days the marina was full service and full of inboard boats.

Thanks Kevin, it would be great if you let me know (cell 978-559-1523)when he will be down for your boat. Judging by your message it sounds like congratulations is in order. So when you going to look at a potential replacement?

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Cutlass bearings last a very long time if they have good water flow to lube them. Your vessel has a strut, therefore there is no water feed. Water effects water lubrication to cutlass bearings in struts is the shaft zincs. It is very important that shaft zincs are not too close to the strut. As the boat moves forward the shaft zinc act like a spoiler and it pushes the water away from the strut causing a lack of water to lube the bearing. Make sure your shaft zincs are far enough away to allow the water to return to the shaft after flowing over the bearing. The photo shows a shaft zinc in the correct place.

On water feed bearings I always check my water feed once a week to make sure the water feed hose did not clog with a piece of debris such as a broken zinc pencil.

2043053_10[1].jpg

1rider

Lieutenant Commander
Cutlass bearings last a very long time if they have good water flow to lube them. Your vessel has a strut, therefore there is no water feed. Water effects water lubrication to cutlass bearings in struts is the shaft zincs. It is very important that shaft zincs are not too close to the strut. As the boat moves forward the shaft zinc act like a spoiler and it pushes the water away from the strut causing a lack of water to lube the bearing. Make sure your shaft zincs are far enough away to allow the water to return to the shaft after flowing over the bearing. The photo shows a shaft zinc in the correct place.

On water feed bearings I always check my water feed once a week to make sure the water feed hose did not clog with a piece of debris such as a broken zinc pencil.

Thanks for the explanation I will be sure to make sure they are separated enough. Here is a photo that you can kind of see the strut in the previous owner sent me shortly before I bought the boat-'78 Topaz. Would you say the zinc in the photo is too close?
4cb9a842ef27472907e2af4307aabe37.jpg

Latest Posts

Top Bottom