may sound crazy but im stumped

joelucci33

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.nepoutdoors.com
Has anyone ever had any issues starting after the boat has been on anchor and rocking pretty good?

For some reason when we are on anchor and it is a little sloppy after sitting for an couple hours we have trouble starting.

Turn the key on hit start and the engine goes to turn but barely moves like it is seized up, almost like there is an insane amount of compression and it just cant turn over. If I hold the button down it will slowly and I meen slowly "ruh......ruh......ruh..." turn over getting a bit faster each time and eventually start crankn good and fire up. all the gauges check out fine..

The only time this happens is when the boat is rocking real good...doesn't happen at the dock ever! Batteries a brand new atlenator is brand new...
im stumped.

engine is a 3126 CAT 300HP Wet exhaust water pump was changed last fall...aftercooler sent out and serviced all zincs replaced etc etc

any ideas?

Capt Dave

Lieutenant
Is it possible you are getting seawater backed up into the engine thru the exhaust?

Capt Dave

Lieutenant
Well if the exhaust outlet does not have enough height thru the riser, water in the exhuast system/muffler could easily back up into the turbo when is rough out and the engine is not running.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Is it possible you are getting seawater backed up into the engine thru the exhaust?
\

I'll go with Capt. Dave on this one.
"side to side sloshing" with a very low spillover height to the turbo.

And if you have sea water backing in through
the engine's turbo (exhaust side) it's only a matter of "the next start or two" when you bend a rod or whatever with a hydro locked engine.

Joe, I wouldn't waste anytime in isolating this problem no matter what the cause is. If it's water in the engine you'll be soending some BIG $$ when the 3126 breaks because of it.

Maybe you have a crappy starter that gets hot and won't spin quick.

Take the exhaust flange off the turbo and take a look inside for rust/carbonized rust/wetness etc.

Post some pics here.

joelucci33

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.nepoutdoors.com
\

I'll go with Capt. Dave on this one.
"side to side sloshing" with a very low spillover height to the turbo.

And if you have sea water backing in through
the engine's turbo (exhaust side) it's only a matter of "the next start or two" when you bend a rod or whatever with a hydro locked engine.

Joe, I wouldn't waste anytime in isolating this problem no matter what the cause is. If it's water in the engine you'll be soending some BIG $$ when the 3126 breaks because of it.

Maybe you have a crappy starter that gets hot and won't spin quick.

Take the exhaust flange off the turbo and take a look inside for rust/carbonized rust/wetness etc.

Post some pics here.

Don't worry bill she ain't leaving the dock until its resolved...will be up hopefully tonight if not all day weds.

Capt Dave

Lieutenant
Not that I know of. Typically fix would be to install a custom riser. Does the boat have a surge tube in the exhaust system?

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Sounds like what capt dave is saying. Hydro locking will destroy your engine very fast, did it to my first generator because it had side exaust. some pics of your exaust system may help.

joelucci33

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.nepoutdoors.com
Sounds like what capt dave is saying. Hydro locking will destroy your engine very fast, did it to my first generator because it had side exaust. some pics of your exaust system may help.

so I conjured up a theory. Right now pulpit and tower is on the boat..(more weight forward) our fuel level is about 1/4 tank ( two 150 gal tanks that stretch almost all the way back to the stern. and when full would act as some what of a counter weight to the stand.) When at the dock the boat sits forward I can tell because rain water builds up behind the wheel house and all the pollin and dirt builds up there as well. Doesn't do this when the stand and tower isn't on...the water always drains out of the scuppers..maybe the constant tilt forward due to the added weight on the bow is causing an excessive amount of water to make its way up through the exhaust

tuna

Lieutenant
has it had this problem before . how about the starter when they get to warm and something going on with it it will happen while on anchor as engine takes a long time to cool down. and its fine a day or so sitting on the dock just another idear seen it a few times

Magician

Lieutenant
Joe,

Woodsy would always stuff a small (5-6") inflatable bouy into the exhaust, I always thought he was being anal but he was concerned with water backing past the surge tube and into the engine.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
You are playing with fire here for sure if it is water up the exhaust. You may need a larger surge tube and/or change the design of it. We had no problems until we started fishing on a new Yanmar that was installed and went shark fishing with two days bait, loaded for war. Luckily ours didnt start at all...

Check your oil, is it milky at all? Sample at min.

joelucci33

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.nepoutdoors.com
Joe,

Woodsy would always stuff a small (5-6") inflatable bouy into the exhaust, I always thought he was being anal but he was concerned with water backing past the surge tube and into the engine.

Bingo...pm sent magician....we have that ball and when we looked at the boat up on tge stands it was stuffed in tge tail pipe

Top Bottom