MD vs the NE

meathookfishing

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Judge DownEast 27'
Why is it that most fisherman in these parts of MD snarl at DE boats? They talk mainly about a soft chime hull rolling to much while on anchor, not trolling well, not able to use auto pilot and the skeg causing issues with following and quartering seas.

I have fished a 27 x 8-6 Judge DE for the last 8 years. While not a true DE, the layout is somewhat similar. BTW, Judge no longer makes this boat. I fish the Chesapeake Bay, offshore OC to the canyons and the Outer Banks.

Wanting to upgrade to to a more true DE boat 31' to 38' and still maintain the same places to fish. I have always loved a DE boat.

I have never fished a DE hull of any kind. Can anyone help with some good answers on the above questions?

Thanks!

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I've had/run both downeasters and deadrises, and I much prefer a downeaster in the ocean. Whether or not a boat rolls cannot be determined by whether it has a hard or soft chine. Some downeasters are much better than others in following seas, and there are plenty of hard chined CB deadrises and modified V sport boats that are god awful in a following sea. There is a lot of variation among hulls in the various general types. Anyone who summarily disparages downeasters for the reasons you have listed is just showing their ignorance. In the Ocean they are a far better all-round boat than the CB deadrise and the planing sportboats that dominate the scene in Maryland. No contest.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Judge

My fishing buddy is in contract as we speak for a brand new 27 Judge with a single 300 Suzuki bracket mounted O/B. Hull is out of the mold and the workmanship is a ten so far.
He builds a beautiful boat. His upgrades to the 31 JC hull are a work of art.

meathookfishing

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Judge DownEast 27'
Good job on the 300 hp. That will suite it better than the 225 when loaded down.

The 31 JC used to be what Bill used before the fire. His 32 is a different mold. I asked him a couple of weeks ago when I saw different post on the JC.

scallywag

Captain
Boat Make
25'general marine
Ther are more than a few DE boats owners in md waters if you look around myself included! All my friends want to fish in my 25'general marine when its nautical out. They say it rides like a cadilac! It gets on top of the water instead of plowing thru it like a deadrise.

OLD BAY

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Wasque 32, Shelter Island 38

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
My fishing buddy is in contract as we speak for a brand new 27 Judge with a single 300 Suzuki bracket mounted O/B. Hull is out of the mold and the workmanship is a ten so far.
He builds a beautiful boat. His upgrades to the 31 JC hull are a work of art.
Larry,I hope our friend will be happy with his choice...i am one of the guys who wanted him to go up north for a boat...but he was worried about them not using outboard power up north

Last edited:

31jcptown

Commander
Boat Make
91 31 JC P-Town
27 judge

Larry

Hope your friend likes the boat as my buddy has the same 27 judge and if you were only fishing in the bay I would say its a good boat but man they are light and and VERY WET I Hate fishing on it. as far as holding up this ones maybe 5 years old and it has some issues................

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain

So far I like what I see. I am not an O/B guy. My other buddy fishes a 27 Eastern with a single and he likes the boat. He has had it 5 seasons and he runs 40 off. The older judge 27s were I believe the same mold as Easterns. From what I have seen the 27 Judge he is building today is a wider version. The hull is solid glass, all stringers are composite with zero wood, fit & finish well above average, Wynne Windows and nice lines.

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
I really like the concept of the 27' Judge with single outboard. Emphasis is on cockpit space. Huge deck compared to almost any other boat I've seen in comparison. The pilot house isn't as aesthetically pleasing as a Downeast, but that is subjective I guess.

meathookfishing

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Judge DownEast 27'
You are correct in that the old Judges were Eastern. Today's model though is still 8'-6".
The single outboard is great on fuel. I would run 67 out to the canyon fully loaded, troll all day and use less than 90 gallons doing whatever speed I could without loosing my teeth. (I like to ride comfortable. Thus one of the reasons wanting a DE.)
But the single OB has drawbacks being set that far in the rear, mainly in the wind.

Top Bottom