MDI 30 - Thoughts, opinions, etc

Towboat

Lieutenant
Getting pretty serious about this boat - a 1990 MDI 30 with a 6BTA Cummins. Hauled the boat to look it over with a friend/surveyor last week and I have made a deposit. Built-down solid glass hull, wet keel. This particular boat is sort of yacht finished, or the way a workboat builder would attempt a yacht finish. Has a finished cabin with v berth, enclosed head, galley, etc. Seems like a solid boat - very simple and clean.

My only reservation is the lack of knowledge with this builder and hull. Both google and a search of this site really didn't have much to say. Asking around locally has not come up with much. A few surveyors I have asked mentioned they are all sturdy & solid...but so aren't all DE boats of this size :confused:

Any insight is MUCH appreciated. Thanks!

P7010302.jpg

P7010303.jpg

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Builder Weldon Lenord (Mount Desert Boats) Merton Rich (Designer)....there is not a lot to know other then they built a heavy duty....Kick Ass Boat....Buy It!

val273

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Miss my Seabird 23....
Lovely hull....show us how they finished out the cabin....NEED MORE PHOTOS !!! GOOD LUCK and be safe on the water....!

RitaBoffshore

Lieutenant
I realize there are differences, but it kinda reminds me of a Cape Dory. Seems like a pretty sweet little boat. I wonder how the roll will be with as much built-down shape as she has.

Towboat

Lieutenant
MDI, thanks for the info. I am moving forward with the sale - was just looking for any experience anyone might have with one of these.

Looks like someone found the listing - surprised it is still active. Plenty of pictures there

Ed, if i did as much drifting as you I'd worry about the same thing, but I'd rather have a deep boat for more cabin and engine space below deck. This is gonna be a combination cruising/work boat spending a lot of time underway. The one review I have heard so far is they are outstanding in a head sea - possibly better than average for this size/type - all subjective though.

Thanks for the replies

cb34

Rear Admiral

Congrats, looks like a solid deal. 8 gph at 22 kts WOT:eek:

Towboat

Lieutenant
Thanks for the comments

Yeah, I'm not convinced with that fuel burn, but we'll see. I'll be happy with anything close. No engine box at all - it's a very deep boat. Full stand up headroom everywhere in the cabin, good engine access everywhere.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Towboat,The MDI boats are one of the best head sea boats you will ever be on......I do a lot of drifting and have to deal with a lot of big boat wakes.....all you have to do it turn the bow or the stern into the big cruiser wakes and you won't even feel the wave go by

Towboat

Lieutenant
Thanks, MDI - just the kind of thing I want to hear! I'll be sure to take more pictures & update after we close on the boat. If all goes well, I should be delivering her home on the 21st!

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Thanks, MDI - just the kind of thing I want to hear! I'll be sure to take more pictures & update after we close on the boat. If all goes well, I should be delivering her home on the 21st!
Good luck with your purchase.....keep us posted

Bpd92

Commander
Lite User
First Name
Brian
Boat Make
35 Duffy

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
Yeah this is something I'd like to get into in about five years....perfect mothership...great to seek out coves and anchorages and spend a long weekend...and plenty of room for the other toys!

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Solid glass hull along with fiberglass fuel tanks are big selling features in a used boat. I am not a big fan of fiberglass rudders, but it is not a deal breaker. Great power with reasonable hours. Is the motor rated at 330 HP? If so she will move well. good luck it appears to be a well built, well maintained vessel.

Towboat

Lieutenant
Thanks for the positive replies! I'm wicked excited about this - It's the most I have ever personally spent on a boat & the process is taking longer than the last real estate transaction I did, but it will be worth it!

Yeah this is something I'd like to get into in about five years....perfect mothership...great to seek out coves and anchorages and spend a long weekend...and plenty of room for the other toys!

This is EXACTLY what we intend to use the boat for primarily.

Towboat

Lieutenant
Solid glass hull along with fiberglass fuel tanks are big selling features in a used boat. I am not a big fan of fiberglass rudders, but it is not a deal breaker. Great power with reasonable hours. Is the motor rated at 330 HP? If so she will move well. good luck it appears to be a well built, well maintained vessel.

I agree with you on the rudder, but like you said it's not a deal breaker at all. I believe the first generation 12 valve 6BTA's were rated at 315hp, but either way the boat moves very well. Sea trial in 2-3 footers with two people and full fuel showed an honest 15kts at 1800-2K for cruise and 20-22ks at 2800RPM WOT.

As far as I'm concerned either this Cummins or the comparable John Deere are the best options for a boat this size. It's also a big plus to be able to walk into Napa & order most anything you need for it off the shelf. My truck has the common rail version with over 225K of heavy work & towing. Can't go wrong

Towboat

Lieutenant
Home! Finally getting around to updating this thread. I brought the boat home on 7/19. I had a 7 hour ride at 13-15kts so it was a great trip to get to know the boat. Had a small craft warning with SW 4-6 by the time I got to Monhegan and I'm definitely impressed with the hull. Nice easy motion, no drama. It does get pushed around a bit with a quartering sea, but nothing that isn't easily corrected with a quick rudder command.

The boat must be laid up pretty well as I was playing around a bit trying out different courses and speeds in that same 4-6 and the only time I would ever really feel anything through the boat at all is the occasional short & steep 6 footer head on at over 15kts. Feels very solid overall.

I don't have any real fuel data yet as I haven't made up a sounding table, but 6gph at a 15kt cruise looks like a very honest estimate and I'll be more than happy with that.

First project is going to be to service the raw water aftercooler since they always make me nervous. Needs a few miscellaneous things other than that so I plan to schedule a couple months in my heated bay when she comes out in October for a good thorough inspection

IMG_20130719_154433_297.jpg

IMG_20130719_154016_558.jpg

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Great to see stories like this here...

I'm probably someone already brought up Tony Athen's Cummins god of America to you. I did the aftercooler bit with him, then did one fuel thing for him and now doing some more filter rigs with his stuff. SBMar.com lol

Have a great season with her...

cb34

Rear Admiral

Great looking boat and apparently fantastic sea boat. Steep 6' waves 15+ kts could not due any better in a 38'+ boat. Best of luck.....

Top Bottom