MDI 32 or Mainship sedan 30

michaelbp

Ensign
Hello to all, just joined from Melbourne Australia. I am looking at purchasing a lobster/downeaster and there are several here.
2005 Mainship Pilot sedan 30' $145k
1996 Mount Desert Island 32' $125 negotiable

But wondering what they are worth in the USA and would consider transporting home if economical.
:razz:

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Do have an idea on what it would cost to have the boat shipped?

michaelbp

Ensign
Shipping will depend on whether it is at a main port ie: Miami, New York etc as road transport will cost if located elsewhere. I got a quote from the UK on a 30' and it worked out at $26k usd plus quarantine and other things so I guess about 30k. Hoping for a better outcome ex USA

Boat Make
Arvor
MDI 32 v Mainship 30

I think the Mainship is great but it has been sold.
I looked at the MDi 32. The hull and machinery were put together in Maine and it was fitted out as a pleasure boat in Australia.
The hull is in great condition. It needs needs work on the Engine and a few upgrades in the electronics. A new propeller would also help its speed.
It is now advertised at AU$95k (US$89k) and could be good buying at about
AU$85k (US$75).
They did not want to sell at that price last month.

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
Michael:

There are lots of Mainship Pilot 30s for sale in the US. Look on Yachtworld. There are three considerations:

1. The design was changed for the better in abut 2002 with a prop pocket and better interior.

2. The hardtop sedan commands about $10K more than the canvas top.

3. The preferred engine is the Yanmar 315 hp 6LP. The Yanmar 240 hp 4LH was also offered but will be a bit underpowered.

You should be able to find a 2002+, hardtop with the 6LP for something in the low US$100Ks.

David

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM

gregs

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Flowers 38
From experience with low power Yanmar Hardtop, mostly only 2 speeds on plane or off, at low speed not much in between if you want to see forward. I would not call them a DE

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
I think the Mainship is great but it has been sold.
I looked at the MDi 32. The hull and machinery were put together in Maine and it was fitted out as a pleasure boat in Australia.
The hull is in great condition. It needs needs work on the Engine and a few upgrades in the electronics. A new propeller would also help its speed.
It is now advertised at AU$95k (US$89k) and could be good buying at about
AU$85k (US$75).
They did not want to sell at that price last month.
Both are nice boats but they do have a different ride, if you have not yet been out on each one then you should do so. I had looked into shipping a boat to Australia a few years ago and found that there were some laws regarding wood construction (insects) that could cause some headaches so be sure to check that out if a boat pops up here and has wood in it. You can do a lot of engine work for $30k and would have the boat a lot sooner. Much larger market up here and Yachtworld is a good source. If you talk to a broker up here make sure to ask them to provide you with some recent listings of the same or similar boats sold. They have that info on their version of Yachtworld. You might have some difficulty finding a broker up here that will jump through many hoops to sell a boat and help coordinate shipping it to AU for the kind of price you are looking at but some will. Good luck with your search, the folks here on this forum will give you some good advice and they dig up some nice boats that are not listed on Yachtworld.

Top Bottom