Midland 19 - Honda 50

sams

Deckhand
I am looking at a midland 19' and was wondering how well it would run with a Honda 50? Any experience on this power for this hull are greatly appreciated.

sam

RKrough

1st Mate
Boat Make
Midland 19
I'm not an expert on figuring out horsepower for these boats. I have a 60hp 2 stroke Johnson and it cruises about 18-20 mph tops out about 25- 26 . The two people I have talked to that have 50 hp on their Midland's say they top out around 22 mph with 2 people and fishing gear, If I bought another outboard I would get a 50hp. I don't go very far out , I don't pull skiers or tubes and I don't need more than 20 mph top speed. I also like the weight of 50's like the Honda and Tohatsu which are both in the low 200 # range. IMO,These boats really drag their ass when trolling with heavy outboards like the Honda 75 and 90.

Midland

About 15 years ago we totally rebuilt a Midland 19 that was abandoned. After removing the water logged flotation foam and replacing the floor, the owner installed a Honda 50. The boat toped out at about 20. Not bad for a lobsterboat with livewell, and a small dog house.

Lostsailor

Deckhand
I have some photos of my one on here,about ten threads down,it's under "my last rig" take a peak

Towboat

Deckhand
While never in one personally, I've worked on a couple and have a friend with one. Regardless of horsepower, I wouldn't go much more than 300lbs or so on the transom. Did some engine work on one with a OMC crossflow v4 90 which weighs almost exactly 300lbs and that was more motor than it needed, IMO

It's the typical old boat - heavy 4 stroke issue that just requires you to give up some speed for a motor with an appropriate weight or search out a good used two stroke. A OMC or Yamaha 70 triple at 240 ish pounds would be a really good fit for that boat or your Honda 50 which is one of the lighter 4 strokes in it's class right now at just over 200#

Flat bottom, relatively light boat - just does not need a ton of power to move efficiently. Have a 55 commercial Johnson on my (narrower) Pembroke skiff and it's more than enough power running 25+. My boat is narrower but laid up very heavy so I'd guess the weights to be similar.

Just my thoughts - hope it helps

pyrofan

1st Mate
Boat Make
wilcox and midland
While never in one personally, I've worked on a couple and have a friend with one. Regardless of horsepower, I wouldn't go much more than 300lbs or so on the transom. Did some engine work on one with a OMC crossflow v4 90 which weighs almost exactly 300lbs and that was more motor than it needed, IMO

It's the typical old boat - heavy 4 stroke issue that just requires you to give up some speed for a motor with an appropriate weight or search out a good used two stroke. A OMC or Yamaha 70 triple at 240 ish pounds would be a really good fit for that boat or your Honda 50 which is one of the lighter 4 strokes in it's class right now at just over 200#

Flat bottom, relatively light boat - just does not need a ton of power to move efficiently. Have a 55 commercial Johnson on my (narrower) Pembroke skiff and it's more than enough power running 25+. My boat is narrower but laid up very heavy so I'd guess the weights to be similar.

Just my thoughts - hope it helps

Your thoughts are pretty accurate. An older Johnson 70hp weighed in at about 240 lbs and would push the Midland 19 about 28 mph. This would be an ideal weight for a center console set up about 4-5 from the stern. For a newer Evinrude you are probably looking at a 60hp which weighs about 240 lbs.

A Midland with a cuddy or its' console mounted up more toward the bow, could easily use the older OMC 90-115 hp which weighed about 300 lbs. A new Evinrude 75-90 hp weighs in at 320lbs

Top Bottom