Midship wet exhaust

CaptLuke

Rear Admiral
Anyone have any experience with a wet exhaust amidships? Looking at a boat that I only today noticed had this strange exhaust lay out. Any pros or cons to this type of layout would be appreciated.
- Luke

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Last one I did went through a large water lift muffler and I had too much brow on the exterior, the bow wake would hit it and create spray. It was shaved down some and that took care of things. Also some spray/lifting rails would have solved the issue.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
Boat Make
First picture is the exhaust hanger brackets that we fabricated to hold everything as we changed sides for the exhaust. As you can tell space was at a premium down in there.

Second picture is the brow, owner was going to repaint his boat when he got it back down south that's why the hull is a dull green.

Third picture is the additional spray from the bow wake.

You can see the modified muffler in the fourth picture and again in the fifth.

Fun project looking back on it, at the time though... Many adult words were said in awkward positions in very tight quarters.

0528121651.jpg

0627121721a.jpg

0630021822.jpg

0520121710.jpg

0520121711.jpg

hatterasser

Lieutenant
Boat Make
33 uniflite (old capt gig), 26 shamrock, 15 skiff, 21 beach dory
Put one in my boat years back to have more hold space for nets or fish. Was kinda nice no exhaust in your face picking fish and can easily see all your connections etc. Quite a few down here w commercial guys. Good toput a deflector on the fwd side to cut down on back pressure.have since switched back to stern exhaust because those days are over.hope this helps.

CaptLuke

Rear Admiral
Thank you guys for your help. I have only seen the picture which are from a distance so I'm not sure if there is a muffler or deflector I've been trying to get in touch with the broker for a few days with no luck hopefully I can get in touch with him today to get some better photos and some more info out of him. I like the idea of not having it run aft to have the option of adding fuel or more fish hold space.
Please keep the info coming!
- Luke

Last edited:

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
Boat Make
That water lift muffler was enormous, I called the owner so he could hear it and let me know what he thought. He kept asking me when I was going to crank the engine, when I told him it had been running for the past five minutes while we were talking and I was sitting on the float right next to the exhaust he was speechless. Stuck the phone right into the exhaust outlet an he could barely hear a murmer.

Can't even think next to my exhaust at idle :p

Captlvb

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.missbarnegatlight.com
Boat Make
235 Kencraft
Travis that's Mike Kartch's boat the Eliza right? He keeps it just a few slips away from me and I have talked to him a few times about that boat. Very complimentary of the job you did and the engine's performance.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Absolutely, Mike is a great guy and I think replacing that Cat was the best thing to have done for Eliza.

Not to sidetrack the topic, but why do you say replacing the Cat was the best thing he did? Which motor?

I ask cause I run a Cat and love her, but always want to her pros and cons on motors for my own bit of knowledge

Thanks

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
Boat Make
Not to sidetrack the topic, but why do you say replacing the Cat was the best thing he did? Which motor?

I ask cause I run a Cat and love her, but always want to her pros and cons on motors for my own bit of knowledge

Thanks

12 knots cruise to 18 knots, less fuel, a ton of weight removed (literally, maybe a little less).

Took out a 3208 375 Cat and slid in a 645DSBIM Sisu. Went from dry exhaust which was slowly charring his deck (fire hazard anyone?) to that whisper quiet wet exhaust. Peeled off 30 years of bottom paint accumulation (it's all over the shop in places still, blundered into some of it yesterday over on the lumber pile picking out a piece of Spanish Cedar to make a pulpit out of) new shaft tube, new shaft, new rudder and rudder port - all updated for the 21st century.

Oh and got rid of some rust too...
431530_346842605367595_347648354_n.jpg

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Okay phew so it wasnt that the engine had a real mechanical issue. Just getting tired and a lil under powered.
I only have 3200hrs on my 3208ta so I pray that it'll give me plenty more years of great use as it has so far without any real issues.

CaptLuke

Rear Admiral
Tunamojo forgive my ignorance but how does that happen? Swell action while rolling at anchor? Or idling? Did the Duffy have a deflector?

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Tunamojo forgive my ignorance but how does that happen? Swell action while rolling at anchor? Or idling? Did the Duffy have a deflector?[/QUOTE..there are a few things that will cause Hydro lock ...it can happen when you have a in properly angled exhaust tube ,to short of a run...or ..even towing a boat in reverse.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
A Surge tube installed in your exhaust would help.....or just keep her running when your in rough seas....exhaust pressure will keep out any water

Top Bottom