Midships cleat; ideas?

Jangles

Lieutenant Commander
On the 19' there is a bow cleat with chocks, and two stern cleats. I find it hard to hold myself on a dock singlehanded for short amounts of time with this arrangement and want to add a midships cleat. I'm in heavy current waters...

I suppose I could just mount a pair of cleats on the gunwale, and at this point probably will, but that seems like a tripping hazard for boarding and whatnot.

I've seen a couple shots of boats with the cleat inverted and mounted on the underside somehow. Any thoughts with that arrangement?

Pop-ups are nice and all but a bit fancy and certainly more scratch than I want to put on the boat. Fold down annoy me to no end.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Jangles

Lieutenant Commander
Standard fare, Seaway 19 CC. The gunwales are molded... I'm guessing 6" of clear flat with a 1" lip on the interior edge, then vertical 4-5"

I don't have a pic handy, but it's the same as anything out there. New ones have essentially the same gunwale design.

Looks like the new boats have pop-ups. Though they mount them further forward than I would. If I matched their location it would be beyond the dodger and hard to reach from the helm.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
I personally love the fold downs that I have on my boat. they are great. I mounted them right on the wash-rail. When I am hauling gear, I fold them down. When I want to tie up, I pop them up. I can see what you are saying about not liking them, but you must be talking about the cheap flimsy shitty ones that some companies put out. The ones that I have are top quality. They are made by accon marine, they are 8" cleats. New they run about 150 each. I bought them at the consignment shop new in the box for $50 each. I was skeptical about them before I put them on the boat, But they have proven themselves and I will have them on every work boat that I own from now on. One of the best things about them is that if you are hauling gear there is nothing to get stuck on on the wash rail. But if you suddenly need to cleat something off in a hurry you just push the button and up it pops. Thats one of the downsides about hawse pipes, if its an emergency and you need to tie something off in a hurry, its a pain in the ass to have to feed the line through the pipe and then cleat it off.

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Duffy
I personally love the fold downs that I have on my boat. they are great. I mounted them right on the wash-rail. When I am hauling gear, I fold them down. When I want to tie up, I pop them up. I can see what you are saying about not liking them, but you must be talking about the cheap flimsy shitty ones that some companies put out. The ones that I have are top quality. They are made by accon marine, they are 8" cleats. New they run about 150 each. I bought them at the consignment shop new in the box for $50 each. I was skeptical about them before I put them on the boat, But they have proven themselves and I will have them on every work boat that I own from now on. One of the best things about them is that if you are hauling gear there is nothing to get stuck on on the wash rail. But if you suddenly need to cleat something off in a hurry you just push the button and up it pops. Thats one of the downsides about hawse pipes, if its an emergency and you need to tie something off in a hurry, its a pain in the ass to have to feed the line through the pipe and then cleat it off.

Those are real nice but he stated he doesn't want to spend the $$$ for them.

Tuckerman

Captain
Boat Make
22 webber cove
Here's a pic of mine. 3/4" plywood with nutserts from behind, bonded to inside of boat then two layers of 1708 glass.

image.jpg

SHORT STEP

Commander
Boat Make
Tripp / midland
tuckermans dog house

Sorry to hijack this thread but can u post or PM with some pics of the inside of the house , did u build it ?
bob

Top Bottom