Missing fisherman...

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
They made a movie out of the incident. I went to JR High and High School with both of these guys. They were inseparable even back then (30+ years ago).

WxFilms - Generic

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
If it is confirmed to be him which you never know with the number of weekly jumpers in New York it is not the outcome everyone hoped for. It willl provide closure for the family. RIP and I know you will be missed on the clamming grounds.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I dont know who is going to bite onto this one... I've met and fished with WRHardee and talked to him privately about this man. My sincere condolences go out to those.

We always use these board to talk about projects and our success. This brings to light some of the sadness that we face too. By no means do I mean disrespect but wondering about something that happened to me.

My mother passed over a decade ago. I was onboard a ship and because of the Iraqi Freedom was unable to make it home. I never saw her again, never saw the body nor at the funeral. I often wonder if my coping with that helped because I didnt see her again.

I've lost a couple friends at sea through the years, actually honestly just a couple so I am thankful. On them both the body was never found. I was wondering if I too took solace in that. All had just a memorial service, honestly not even sure if they even did a grave/markers. Now it has me wondering...

Is it easier without getting the body back. Closure I've heard so many times but on some level we all know its over, over for all of us. Our remembrance, for me, has always been in locations never at the site of a grave. I go to quiet corners of the world, step away and think of those who have crossed the bar ahead of me...

Surely people always take this and run with it because it was part of the famous movie but I really do like it... Chasing Mavericks...

We all come from the sea, but we are not all of the sea. Those of us who are, we children of the tides, must return to it again and again, until the day we do not come back, leaving only that which was touched along the way.

The classic is below...

THEY THAT GO DOWN TO THE SEA IN SHIPS, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep. For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof. They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble. They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wits' end. Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses. He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Actually also meant to say, an old sailing thing I picked up was that first star you see everynight, thats how I place rememberance as many others...

WRHardie

Commander
I'm unfortunately living in Ohio right now but bou
The threads got crossed so I don't want what I say to be confused with the story of John Aldridge.

Good post Shawn, gets the thinker going. Honestly, I've become pretty callus to learning about friends' deaths. I know that sounds bad but at 34 I've lost a lot, too many, most not at sea. Some have and in a way its easier, you can tell yourself "they died doing what they love". 90% of the time though its from something stupid, drunk driving, overdose, suicide, and shit like that. That's what makes this one pretty tough to deal with, I was hoping that this would fall into another category but sadly it doesn't. I'll not go into details out of respect for anyone else on here that might have known him or whatever. What got me most about this is learning that you can change for the better, make sacrifices and in the end get your shit together but just because you did it doesn't mean others have. This was a wake up call for me that no matter how long I stay away or how well I do for myself the "group" I left behind stayed exactly the same. This shouldn't have happened, at least not under the circumstances that it did. Do I sound like a selfish prick because I'm not morning the loss of a friend, maybe so and I wish it were different but I'm tired of losing friends to bullshit.

Top Bottom