Mitigating turbo sound

cb34

Rear Admiral
Anyone have any solutions ? Where dose the majority of the sound emanate from the turbo housing or breather ?

Jjammer

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
36 Stanley / John Williams
Soundown and gasket the engine bay and seal all engine room penetrations...baffle the air intakes to the engine room

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
I understand the dodge cummins installs had a silencing ring that helped control some noise that came from the intake plenum on the holset turbos.

ArchHibb

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
I believe it emanates through the air filter which is why the Airsep that Blitzen referenced is effective at eliminating the whine.
Jammer's suggestions for sealing the engine room can/should be implemented as well.
SoundownSam @ Soundown may have some other ideas also.

cb34

Rear Admiral
Soundown and gasket the engine bay and seal all engine room penetrations...baffle the air intakes to the engine room
What can be used as a baffle and where can i get it?

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
How much noise reduction do you guys notice with a the walkers ?

thx
For me it was a noticeable difference in the turbo whine, you could still hear it but not until the higher RPM's, so at cruise around 2000 RPM it was much more comfortable in the boat.

ARC

Captain
Boat Make
31’ eastern Casco Bay
I worked make my Eastern as quiet as can be. 2” sound down. Sealed all wiring and plumbing holes. Got the boat to 74db at cruise . then I added some quality carpet over the hatches. Went down to 68db. That’s conversation level. You may not be able to use carpet but some type of rubber mat may work . I found any space between the hatch and floor to make a big difference

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
Turbo whistle on a diesel engine is one of the coolest sounds there are.

My truck has a ford 7.3 and I think the turbo wheel's getting worn, it doesn't sound off like it used too. I miss it. Might be time to show the turbo some love and try and get it back.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Seems like this product will not let air pass thru
Use this product to build baffles in the engine air intakes on the boat not on the engine.

Jjammer

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
36 Stanley / John Williams
Use this product to build baffles in the engine air intakes on the boat not on the engine.
Yes like Blitzen says you can baffle the intake air where it enters the engine room per the PDF I posted

to maximize effectiveness all other openings need to be air sealed as much as possible...

cb34

Rear Admiral
On another boat I had some form of aluminum mesh that was behind my louvered doors covering my engine room air intakes. Don't know if the helped. Anyone have any knowledge of this product ?

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
On another boat I had some form of aluminum mesh that was behind my louvered doors covering my engine room air intakes. Don't know if the helped. Anyone have any knowledge of this product ?
that may have been to knock down any spray??? to drain outside.

Top Bottom