Money wire advice ??

Rockasauras

Captain
Had a guy call me today on a boat I have advertised on Boat Trader. He made an offer and said he could wire money to my account thru Wells Fargo and have boat transported to his home state of Florida...The guy seemed sincere and knowledgeable ... I send boat paperwork to his bank.

Human nature in me detects a hint of shit but not quite sure...?
Without going into details I would not send any papers until money transfer took place first...

Anyone heard about recent scams ...or had experience with working a money transfer ?

Thanks,

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Had a guy call me today on a boat I have advertised on Boat Trader. He made an offer and said he could wire money to my account thru Wells Fargo and have boat transported to his home state of Florida...The guy seemed sincere and knowledgeable ... I send boat paperwork to his bank.

Without going into details I would not send any papers until money transfer took place first...

Anyone heard about recent scams ...or had experience with working a money transfer ?

Thanks,
Do not send the originals only send the original after the deal has closed.

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,

Thanks,

if it looks like, and smells like it usually is. "why take a chance" least that's what I think about it

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
First off did he give you a firm deposit of at least 10%? If not this is pie in the sky. For better comfort go to a broker that you trust. With you already having the buyer let him do the transaction. All moneys get escrowed until checks clear and then you sign over. Brokers get 10% but in your case it should be more like 2%. Money well spent.

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
Usually a scam especially from places that traditionally do not have many boats of this type and use. Another sign is if he does not come and look at it personally to seatrial and or survey. Seems the transfer stuff can be rescinded after the fact including paypal DANGER!

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Usually a scam especially from places that traditionally do not have many boats of this type and use. Another sign is if he does not come and look at it personally to seatrial and or survey. Seems the transfer stuff can be rescinded after the fact including paypal DANGER!

All excellent points. If you have not met this fellow & he has not seen the boat walk away.

Hammer Slammer

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
Wire transfers are not instant just FYI. There is a cut off time of 11am I believe to go threw that day. As far I know it is a very safe way to move money, I get them all the time with no issues.

Whatta Catch

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.whattacatch.com
Boat Make
40' H and H, 31 JC and 25' Carolina Skiff
When we were selling our JC, I had the same thing. The buyer stated he was on a ship overseas but really wanted the boat. He wanted my Paypal address to send payment in full and his transporter would come and take the boat. I had about 4 different people contact me with similar stories. It's probably a scam.

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
glad you got this good advice

if the person wants the boat tell him to come and do a face to face and bring cash, then he can have the boat

who spends that kind of money without looking, we all hire surveyors etc. but he's gonna send a check no questions asked

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
glad you got this good advice

if the person wants the boat tell him to come and do a face to face and bring cash, then he can have the boat

who spends that kind of money without looking, we all hire surveyors etc. but he's gonna send a check no questions asked

Case closed by Oldshell the people rest move on and find a real buyer!

starrfish

Commander
Boat Make
35 duffy
all kinds of crazy people out there, follow your gut. even other banks cashiers checks can go bad !! (wife works at a large bank and see`s this stuff more than we know) have him send the money, verify with YOUR bank when it CLEARS, then finish up the paperwork, simple.

heres a scam for ya...guy sells a kyak for 500 bucks, buyer sends him "by mistake" 5000 bucks, seller calls buyer and says whoa.. way to much. buyer says yeah, my bad, but whatever, just send me the kyak and 4500 back problem solved. seller DOES IT, the cashiers check the buyer sent was bogus, the sellers was not.. dude got spanked for 4500 AND the kyak.. happened to a friend of mine

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
all kinds of crazy people out there, follow your gut. even other banks cashiers checks can go bad !! (wife works at a large bank and see`s this stuff more than we know) have him send the money, verify with YOUR bank when it CLEARS, then finish up the paperwork, simple.

heres a scam for ya...guy sells a kyak for 500 bucks, buyer sends him "by mistake" 5000 bucks, seller calls buyer and says whoa.. way to much. buyer says yeah, my bad, but whatever, just send me the kyak and 4500 back problem solved. seller DOES IT, the cashiers check the buyer sent was bogus, the sellers was not.. dude got spanked for 4500 AND the kyak.. happened to a friend of mine

creative ................

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
On another relevant note, Had a friend buy a boat for 150K without looking at it but going on sellers recommended surveyor. Figured since the new cost was 900K according to builder, he got a deal and did not run it by or show report to me or anyone with any experience, before buying . Wrong! Surveyor's have so many disclaimer clauses that recourse is all but a waste of attorney fees. Deck rotted with a repair that was a loose wood plate with gaps, not even close to water tight on a DE. Surveyor did not even know what engine it had or trans but put wrong info on survey report like he did. Will lose big $$ since against all advise, he ended up with 650K into it and though pristine, still an old boat with old technology engine.:confused: Moral, Trust no one and unless its a dream boat, careful how much you spend to redo it!

Last edited:

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
How big is the boat and how much money are we talking? If I were to do a wire transfer I would open a bank account, give him the routing numbers etc. once the payment clears take the cash out and close account and ship the boat. have him send you a pic of his license etc.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral

Thanks,

I only use and accept a few wire. bank to bank.

Rockasauras

Captain
How big is the boat and how much money are we talking? If I were to do a wire transfer I would open a bank account, give him the routing numbers etc. once the payment clears take the cash out and close account and ship the boat. have him send you a pic of his license etc.

All great points well taken ...Bill, If it were to pan out this is how I would proceed. Going to call my legal advisor today first.

Have to feel this guy out a good bit before making any kind of move regardless. Boat is 26 foot trailerable pilothouse. I know if I were buying something north of 60k I would certainly give it a good looking over before offering one red cent. Will keep you all posted as things progress or regress in the case of a potential BS scam.

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
My broker used a service called Harbor Documentation Services (631-499-0420, ask for Judy, they only pick up during the week, no weekends). They basically act as a go between, money from the buyer is transferred into their account, they then transfer all the money to the bank that holds the loan, the bank then transferes the balance to your account or gives you a bank check. The buyer has no direct access to your account. They also do a title search, to make sure the title is clean. If you have no loan the money is transferred from the buyer into the services account, which the buyer can only place money into, they can't take any out of. At that point the service transfers the money into your account or gives you a bank check. In both cases your account is completely protected from scam artist. I believe the service is very reasonable, either way it's worth the phone call.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil

That's the oldest scam in the book, I'm surprised anyone would still fall for that one. I have had this exact scam offered to me numerous times when selling vehicles, but when something sounds too good to be true, it's a scam.

A buyer who offers to send money without looking at a boat is either really stupid, or it's a scammer looking for his next deal. I would never, ever send money for anything until I looked at it, and I would never sign ownership over or let go of the item until the money is safely and securely in the bank.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
I have to say most of the time you are contacted by a scammer, it's by email. They never call.

cb34

Rear Admiral
Scam

See a lot with Craigs list. They want your account info, always have your bank deal directly with their bank when wiring money.;)

Top Bottom