Mooring Work videos/photos

PatriciaLynn

Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
@Genius what do you think about mousing shackles with zip ties? I use them because I always have a bunch on the boat from all the oyster gear and have never had a problem. That being said, I realize they aren't as strong as proper wire. Ever see a problem with them?

LuSea

1st Mate
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
Nauset 35
I'm amazed by some of those images and the fact that the chain doesn't fail just from pulling the mooring free.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
I'm amazed by some of those images and the fact that the chain doesn't fail just from pulling the mooring free.
I was decking an Annes mushroom last week. The lifting eye on the shank was in poor condition....I used it to manipulate the anchor to fit on deck. It parted as I was working. I knew it was suspect and was clear of it on purpose. You can see pictures of it on Post #165

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
@Genius what do you think about mousing shackles with zip ties? I use them because I always have a bunch on the boat from all the oyster gear and have never had a problem. That being said, I realize they aren't as strong as proper wire. Ever see a problem with them?
Sorry, just saw this. It's used by some of the other "guys" around here. It seems to work good on the stuff I come across. The heavier duty style is what you would use, not the standard. I've seen a few undone, but can't say it's common and related to the practice. When I take shackles off, I use an impact gun. The zip ties hurt like a mother f'er when they spin around and hit your hands.

PatriciaLynn

Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
Sorry, just saw this. It's used by some of the other "guys" around here. It seems to work good on the stuff I come across. The heavier duty style is what you would use, not the standard. I've seen a few undone, but can't say it's common and related to the practice. When I take shackles off, I use an impact gun. The zip ties hurt like a mother f'er when they spin around and hit your hands.
I have heard about people using impacts to put them together and take them apart. What sort of socket or tool do you use in the impact. That is an easy improvement for me to make.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
I have heard about people using impacts to put them together and take them apart. What sort of socket or tool do you use in the impact. That is an easy improvement for me to make.
ha, I can't give up my secrets... It's a modified impact socket, I'm sure you can weld something up that will work.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
New install in the Kiki today. Small mooring for a new boater.

DEF828D8-3CB9-4753-B984-1A31088721E7.jpeg

AF83CE34-6158-4AE1-9F34-35CF226C24DC.jpeg

Latest Posts

Top Bottom