Morse twin lever control - repositioning throttle?

mbsl98

Lieutenant
First Name
Mike
On my twin stick Morse, the throttle is pulled back about even with reverse position of tranny stick when at idle. Full power moves stick to roughly vertical, similar to neutral trans. I think this is pretty normal and both my main panel and stern control boxes are the same. My question is if the throttle lever can be repositioned such that it is vertical at idle and moves toward angle of trans stick position when in forward and full throttle? It works fine now, and I'm sure I will get used to it, but it would feel more natural to me if throttle started from vertical. Boat is a Fortier 26/Volvo 41P. Thanks

Thanks

harpoon83

Captain
First Name
Colin
I have never seen one setup like that.
Everyone that I have seen is:

Throttle @ idle is equal to reverse position of gear handle
Throttle At full power equals forward position on gear handle.

Are you saying that you are only getting half the travel out of your throttle handle?
You should be able to change "holes" that the cable is attached to underneath and get full travel on your throttle handle I believe.

Last edited:

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
On my twin stick Morse, the throttle is pulled back about even with reverse position of tranny stick when at idle. Full power moves stick to roughly vertical, similar to neutral trans. I think this is pretty normal and both my main panel and stern control boxes are the same. My question is if the throttle lever can be repositioned such that it is vertical at idle and moves toward angle of trans stick position when in forward and full throttle? It works fine now, and I'm sure I will get used to it, but it would feel more natural to me if throttle started from vertical. Boat is a Fortier 26/Volvo 41P. Thanks

Thanks
The short answer is yes you can. However you need someone that knows what they are doing

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
are you getting max wide open throttle rpm's ? should be 3900. something ain't right with the way the cable is hooked up.

Kenneth

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 - SeaArk 1860
Bottom of the lever (under the cover) should have a series of holes to attach the cable, you can change where the throttle cable is mounted to change the stoke of the lever.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
You may need a single lever control? I think if you set it up like you are describing, it would be a very weird boat. Without looking at colors on the knobs, it would be easy to mistake the throttle for the gear very easy.

mbsl98

Lieutenant
First Name
Mike
Thanks all. I am getting full RPM's (3900 WOT) and everything works smoothly. It's just the throttle position I don't love. In looking more closely, the aft control throttle is slightly more forward, ie: it is not quite as far back as shift at idle, and sits slightly beyond vertical at full throttle compared to forward control. Same total movement, which is less in total travel than shift on both units. It must have to do with the cable attachment point, so more to learn about the attachment holes referred to by Kenneth. I'll run the boat more before tinkering, since it is new to me and I will get used to whatever it is.

Beamie

Commander
Don't make a problem where there is none. Stop thinking too much. Everything sounds normal now.

harpoon83

Captain
First Name
Colin
Am I the only one who thinks only getting 1/2 the throw out of the throttle handle is not a normal setup?

I know it should just an adjustment on the mounting holes underneath, but do some boats run this as a normal setup?

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Am I the only one who thinks only getting 1/2 the throw out of the throttle handle is not a normal setup?

I know it should just an adjustment on the mounting holes underneath, but do some boats run this as a normal setup?
yes, should get more throw I guess. Although mine is not much more I believe (or, I don't use that part;)). Other boats I recall being about 3/4 + throw.

Propwash

Lieutenant
I just finished setting up my Morse again after a rebuild and also have been struggling with throttle lever throw angles. The throttle arm on the pump has 3 different mounting holes for the ball stud, and the arm in the Morse has two holes. With the inner-most hole on the Morse and the outer most hole on the engine being used, I'm getting maybe a bit more than half throw for a full throttle range. The only solution is to add length to the engine side arm with a bolted on extension. It would be nice to have a finer resolution to throttle selection with a longer throw, so I may play around with this some more.

PW

ccc

Lieutenant Commander
You may need a single lever control? I think if you set it up like you are describing, it would be a very weird boat. Without looking at colors on the knobs, it would be easy to mistake the throttle for the gear very easy.
What he said.

Your idea may seem like a good one at first, but I think the lever being all the way back at idle is very helpful in keeping you from grabbing the wrong one in the heat of the moment.

I used to be a ‘single lever only’ proponent, but my last 2 boats (single engine) have had twin levers, and I’m warming up to the idea. Occasionally revving the engine in neutral is the common mistake, and that’s not as scary as accidentally applying too much throttle while in gear.

Top Bottom