most easily driven hulls

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
in hulls up to 31 feet, what would be the most easily driven ones?
also pros and cons of building light?

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Build too light and your boat falls apart.

Again, what is "light". A layer of mat and a layer of structure works well for a 38" boat. Does it work for a 28' boat? Maybe, I'm sure it could be done, but what possible usage you could find for a rig like that. A good wake from a passing boat as you're tied up at the float and you'd need a new one.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
In the quest for speed builders go light. Lesson are learned the hard way

Pictures of Damage to Donzi 43zr That Hit Huge Wave In California - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

this is why i have alot of respect for de's and novi's. heavy laid up boats that can take it day in day out. even my old 28 henry masters, you could wallup up side it with a 10 lb sledge and just chip the gelcoat. My bert on the other hand, it was pretty floppy when i got it. I have added my own ribbing and additional bulkheads to strengthen it. I'm not out to win races, if i killed a half knot who cares.

John Riddle

Lieutenant
Website
www.riddleboatworks.net
Nickyp:

The term "easily driven" usually describes a displacement hull shape that requires very little power to achieve hull speed. Long and narrow with rounded bilges is one of the most easily driven shapes. An example is the yacht Olympia (92'L x 18'B x ~8' Draft x 125 tons) that cruises at 9.5 knots on twin 165 hp diesels.

I'm guessing your question is really geared more toward fuel efficiency at planing speeds and you're wondering which 31' hull on the market offers the most efficient operation. I don't think there's a specific answer to that question without knowing a lot more about what you expect:

• How fast do you want to run?
  • What gear and other weight will you have aboard ?
  • Will you be running inshore or offshore and in what conditions?
  • What do you require in terms of head sea and down sea handling and performance?
  • What range do you require?
  • How do you define "easily driven"?
With those answers, somebody can probably narrow your choices down for you.

On the subject of building light
Pros:

• Gain speed for a given power
  • Gain fuel economy for a given speed
  • Gain load capacity for a given displacement
Cons:

• Generally more expensive in labor and material costs.
  • Light construction methods can result in less durable structures that require more maintenance and repair
  • Light construction can worsen the behavior of a hull in certain conditions if the design was not intended for it

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
Nickyp:

The term "easily driven" usually describes a displacement hull shape that requires very little power to achieve hull speed. Long and narrow with rounded bilges is one of the most easily driven shapes. An example is the yacht Olympia (92'L x 18'B x ~8' Draft x 125 tons) that cruises at 9.5 knots on twin 165 hp diesels.

I'm guessing your question is really geared more toward fuel efficiency at planing speeds and you're wondering which 31' hull on the market offers the most efficient operation. I don't think there's a specific answer to that question without knowing a lot more about what you expect:

• How fast do you want to run?
  • What gear and other weight will you have aboard ?
  • Will you be running inshore or offshore and in what conditions?
  • What do you require in terms of head sea and down sea handling and performance?
  • What range do you require?
  • How do you define "easily driven"?
With those answers, somebody can probably narrow your choices down for you.

On the subject of building light
Pros:

• Gain speed for a given power
  • Gain fuel economy for a given speed
  • Gain load capacity for a given displacement
Cons:

• Generally more expensive in labor and material costs.
  • Light construction methods can result in less durable structures that require more maintenance and repair
  • Light construction can worsen the behavior of a hull in certain conditions if the design was not intended for it
what i was really hoping for was just people's opinions of the 'slipperiest' smaller hulls.
hulls that go along at a good clip without high horsepower. easily driven.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
32' Holland and the South Shore 30' both very slippery and easily driven.

ripta13

Commander
Boat Make
1996 31 BHM
30 foot duffy low shear with 225JD cruised 15knots about 7gph no floscan. my buddies 33young brothers with a 250 volvo cruises 15-16knots about 8gph give or take 1gph depending on the load, he doesnt have a floscan either but 8gph is pretty accurate. if you put that 250 volvo in a 31 bhm it would probably be a 10kt boat. i think the 33 young brothers is one on the easiest hulls to push in 33 and under size class, my opinion.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
30 south shore is a bad little Hull its on the list for that size here is my list.
Ss 30 bhm31 Holland 32 flowers 30-33 the new beal 30 rp31 and 35 them would be my start

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH.. Piscataqua and Merrimack Rivers
Boat Make
27 H&H with Cummins QSB 5.9 480 power
30 south shore is a bad little Hull its on the list for that size here is my list.
Ss 30 bhm31 Holland 32 flowers 30-33 the new beal 30 rp31 and 35 them would be my start

Goog,

The new 30 Calvin Beal ?? Very nice looking boat 30X12X11.5,
not sure if any of us can state how "slippery" she'll be.
I'm not sure if Stewart has built one yet ! :D

btw, CB34's 30 South Shore QSB 380 powered DE will be splashing this spring.
He'll have performance numbers for us to see.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom