Motors?

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
Hey Bill Don't you think that "Engines" or maybe better "Machinery" might make for a better title for this forum? I mean, doesn't a motor refer to something other than what most of the threads that typically make up this forum are referring to? Thanks DE

fishinwishin

Lieutenant
Hey Bill Don't you think that "Engines" or maybe better "Machinery" might make for a better title for this forum? I mean, doesn't a motor refer to something other than what most of the threads that typically make up this forum are referring to? Thanks DE
Leave the kid alone. Ya gotta give him credit for starting a forum. He probably has no idea what you are talking about.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 268 Islander, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Hey no this is the stuff I need to make it better..Im not proud.. here is my thoughts because I really never gave it any thought or never really cared..I have always used the name engine and motor interchangably..yes you call a diesel a "diesel engine" and not a 'diesel motor" and you call an ourboard an "outboard motor" not an outboard engine..so it makes sense..but then you think of "general motors" not "general engines" and the term is "motor head" not "engine head"...another thought ..I have a coast guard engineering license which is for "steam and motor"..not steam and engine..honestly like I said never even thought about it but it makes a good point and Ill change it to "The Downeast Engine Room".. good call Bryan (elmar)

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
and Byran.. I got you beaton the addiction.. I get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and have to logon to check if anything new is on

fishinwishin

Lieutenant
Hey no this is the stuff I need to make it better..Im not proud.. here is my thoughts because I really never gave it any thought or never really cared..I have always used the name engine and motor interchangably..yes you call a diesel a "diesel engine" and not a 'diesel motor" and you call an ourboard an "outboard motor" not an outboard engine..so it makes sense..but then you think of "general motors" not "general engines" and the term is "motor head" not "engine head"...another thought ..I have a coast guard engineering license which is for "steam and motor"..not steam and engine..honestly like I said never even thought about it but it makes a good point and Ill change it to "The Downeast Engine Room".. good call Bryan (elmar)

The motor thing comes from people who never had a reason to care what you call it. A motor is electric. A engine is a piston/ cumbustion driven.

The power head on a OB is a engine. the whole thing is a outboard motor.

Motor comes from way back when driving was called motoring ,not what powered the transportation vessel. Same with General Motors. It is a engine that powers the car. The act over driving it use to be called motoring, Hence. General Motors Corporation.

jojobee

Commander
Why do they call it a "motor boat", "outboard motor", "motor trend" or "motorcycle"? These are not electric. The definition has loosened up a bit over the years.

Top Bottom