Mounting radar on Eastern Islander 248

syzygy

Ensign
First Name
Keith
Hi,
I'm looking to add radar to my Eastern Islander and I'm curious how the factory attaches it - I've written customer support but they seem swamped. I've seen a number on their site with a small tower (and I'm planning to put the anchor light up there for less holes). I'm curious how they actually attach the tower, specifically is it lagged in (given the core I assume this is ~ impossible) or through bolted. If its bolted did they do anything to hide the bolts or fit them around the teak wire ways?
Thanks.
Keith

Side note: anyone have the make/model of the original wheel on the islander? Previous owner put a big wheel on that restricts reverse throttle!

Cool Boat

Captain
Hi,
I'm looking to add radar to my Eastern Islander and I'm curious how the factory attaches it - I've written customer support but they seem swamped. I've seen a number on their site with a small tower (and I'm planning to put the anchor light up there for less holes). I'm curious how they actually attach the tower, specifically is it lagged in (given the core I assume this is ~ impossible) or through bolted. If its bolted did they do anything to hide the bolts or fit them around the teak wire ways?
Thanks.
Keith

Side note: anyone have the make/model of the original wheel on the islander? Previous owner put a big wheel on that restricts reverse throttle!
Sorry I'm not an Eastern owner but maybe post some pictures so everyone can see what you're trying to do. Many of us have been around boats a while and have seen a thing or two.

Kailua Kid

Captain
Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
Sorry I'm not an Eastern owner but maybe post some pictures so everyone can see what you're trying to do. Many of us have been around boats a while and have seen a thing or two.
I am not knowledgeable about your boat or your setup, but as a general proposition, I avoid lag bolts or screws into any cored material, especially if I am affixing anything that can be subjected to any load at all. I would put a radar tower in that category because in a seaway, it can be whipped around a fair amount and random things can catch on and exert a load against such a bracket (including in my case breaking waves!).

I would through-bolt, seal up — then deal with the inside (overhead) cosmetics as best as possible, with the cosmetics taking a backseat to a really robust, secure attachment. There is no sin in exposing the heads of four stainless steel bolts with washers, in my book at least.

Many on this forum will have more informed opinions than mine on your question, especially once you post a few pictures of the instal area and or describe in a little more detail what you are wanting to accomplish and your concerns.

syzygy

Ensign
First Name
Keith
This is where I'm thinking of mounting. The more I look the more this is through bolting.
PXL_20210727_104146421.jpg PXL_20210727_104128411.jpg

Cool Boat

Captain
Agree with the through bolt. If it's a cored top, I'd suggest removing the core material between the two fiberglass skins and get a solid filler between the two skins. For the bolt holes 3M4200 or similar might be a good sealant to use in case you ever wanted to remove it. Depending on how much flex is in the cabin top, if it oil cans, you may want to consider a wider base support. If it's solid, any size base should be OK.
Nice pictures, looks like a nice boat.

John Hobby

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
2000 Eastern 2710, 6BT Cummins
I mounted a Furno to the top of my boat this year. Through bolt. Used a Seaview mount stand, nice wide base, foam gasket, 4200, all good. Would be nice to have it up a bit on the hard top. Clean install and easy to clean around.

radar.jpg

Top Bottom