Moving to fiberglass

PenBayCruiser

Lieutenant
Boat Make
1987 Shannon 32 Brendan
We've cruising Penobscot Bay with Spindrift since 1966. Dad & my uncle bought the bare hull new from Hugo Lehtinen Boatshop (Tenants Harbor, ME) in 1962 and proceded to build the rest. Now it's time to move on to a fiberglass boat with for minimal maintenance (160 hrs each spring with Spindrift which is complicated by living 1 3/4 hrs from storage location) and improved accommodations. We enjoy the semi displacement full keel ride (8.5 knots @ 1750rpm), pilot house with side & aft doors, wide walk around decks and raised bulwarks. Recently looked at 1978 Bruno & Stilman 35' based raised pilot house double cabin cruiser. Problem is the decks forward of cockpit and cabin sides are soaked & rotten. There's actually a football sized hole through the deck. Since she's been left uncovered winters (5th winter) there's water/ice in the bilge up to the stuffing box and 18" deep forward (made me cringe, pls see photo). Anyone know these hulls well enough to know if the hull can stand the punishment? I'm concerned about water soaking into the glass (causing blistering later) and engine bunk stringers as well as stress from ice expansion. My neighbor says run! Thanks for any input is appreciated.

Head01.jpg

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I wouldn't be too worried from just that one picture you tossed up. Sounds like there is a stick built plywood top on it from your description, nothing a saw and some elbow grease can't fix.

Welcome to the site, any other photos of this jewel? I wouldn't be too worried about the fiberglass absorbing water. The ice in the bilge can be a concern but not overly so. That hull comes from the days back when people were still asking "so how thick is she cap?" a hold over from wooden construction. It's a solid glass hull I hope, the core ones had a bad reputation.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I would be guessing that the boat is free as well? If not probably some better deals out there than that.

PenBayCruiser

Lieutenant
Boat Make
1987 Shannon 32 Brendan
Thanks for the input guys.

Everything forward of the cockpit needs to be replaced (ayah get out the sawzall). I'm mostly concerned about the hull damage, need something worth while to build on. The hull has been painted so hard to tell condition other than sounds solid.

The positive part is the cabin layout can rearranged to meet our needs. I already like the pilot house, but would make changes to the aft & forward cabins.

The seller didn't have a price listed. After looking her over, I emailed the condition as I saw it and offered to give the boat a good home. So, waiting to see a response.

Here's a few more photos

CockpitStepPort.jpg

CockpitStepStb.JPG

DeckForwardPort.jpg

Pilothouse01.jpg

Pilothouse06.jpg

PenBayCruiser

Lieutenant
Boat Make
1987 Shannon 32 Brendan
Oops, I meant to include a photo of the whole boat. I think the pilot house & cabins lines could be improved as part of the rebuild. The pilot house is a nice space with good access to the side decks.

78BS3501.jpg

Pilothouse04.jpg

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Just from the pics you have posted I would approach that boat as if the whole house and all of the interior needed to go. Maybe it wont but much better to assume the worst than the opposite.

Is the hull cored? Engine must be a block of rust after sitting underwater?

Seems like there might be a better deal out there somewhere to me. Unless you are looking for a serious project. Any chance for an engine pic?

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
Pictures help a lot. How much of this do you plan to take on yourself and how much will you shop out to professionals? It looks so far that Toolate is correct, you are buying a hull. I also would expect all systems need replacement. I don't know your level of experience so I will ask, did you sound the hull with a hard plastic hammer? Would you know what to look and feel for? You could drop a couple of hundred bucks on a survey to get some professional advice. You will need professional survey results to get insurance or financing.

Considering the condition from what I see in the pictures there are some other options but it depends on your skill level and how much time you have and how much you value your time.

Some builders post prices of new construction, piece by piece. If you haven't done so already, take a look at those prices for new construction, you might be better served to get a new hull with an engine and build your own deck and house if that is the direction you want to go. Also, some builders are aware of project boats that can be developed, by them, for a good price. For example, Newman and Gray have an old 36' hull that has been gutted with a newer engine and some new bulkheads and deck beams in place. A couple of years ago they were asking $30k or so for that. There are likely more gems like that at other builders sites.

Or get a boat in better condition that is used, but works, and only has cosmetic issues that you can correct as you use the boat.

PenBayCruiser

Lieutenant
Boat Make
1987 Shannon 32 Brendan
I did check the hull over, sounded fine and not visual problems (ie cracks, blisters, etc.) Most of the interior would go, new bulkheads, decks, etc. May be able to reuse cabinets and other items that will fit our plan and are not ruined. The engine is one of the best parts, paint's ok and turned with a wrench (water was up to shaft at stuffing box, not up around engine, fortunately).

This project would be a combination of myself and hired out. Mostly due to time required. Took my Dad 4 years bring Spindrift from bare hull to launch. This is a very large project for spare time.

The whole project hinges on if the seller will just let her go. I emailed him just over a week ago with no reply, yet. Said I could "give her a good home".

I'm still continuing my boat search for something in mid 30s. Full or semi displacement, easy access to wide side decks from wheel, diesel (single or twin) fly bridge, births for 4 + dinette, full galley (Admiral prefers galley down), aft cockpit w/walk through transom to swim platform. So, a custom downeaster, trawler or raised pilot house type of boat would similar to Spindrift (put a photo w/my info but didn't see it on my posts), see photo but with fly bridge and modern amenities.

IMG_1307a.jpg

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
Spindrift looks great! You must be sad to see the end of your time with her.

Bruno

Just trying to paint a realistic picture of your ideas for the Bruno rehab. If you are planning on gutting the boat and saving the hull, engine, running gear and tanks then building a new pilothouse and decks, even if you do the work yourself, it will ad up to a lot of money. I would suggest that you continue your search for a boat in better condition, as this will be less expensive in the end.

Splinters

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Egg Harbor
Absolutely run away from this. The end result will cost at least twice the initial price you thought it would. By the time you are done you will have probably lost the passion you need to enjoy her afterward. I have restored my share of project boats and there is definitely a better deal out there. Keep looking.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
These guys are giving you good advise.
Listen to it

Building a 35 from a bare hull is a pretty beefy undertaking.
Tearing one apart, then rebuilding it is much beefier!
That $$ is gonna add up quick, but the man hours it takes to do it right will wear you down

If you have a good handle of the project ( time and money), and decide to go through with it, then more power to you. Bruno's are nice hulls (provided it's not waterlogged), and I look forward to you keeping us updated.

Last edited:

PenBayCruiser

Lieutenant
Boat Make
1987 Shannon 32 Brendan
Thanks for your advice; South Shore Boatworks, Splinters & nickyp. Heard back from the owner and will not give away (not surprised). So, I am walking away from this one. The only benefit would have been winding up with exactly what I wanted. So, my search continues!

hustler132

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Duffy 35
Very nice boat

Very Nice Find! She has beautiful lines and all your work will pay off.
Enjoy the restoration

Top Bottom