Moving to Nashua, NH

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
I know we have people from all over posting on DEBF. Looks like I will be relocating to Nashua NH, from Portland, ME. I've been in Portland for 13 years and love it, but have to go to where the job opportunities are. Anyone here from that area?

I gave my notice at work, and my boss asked if I liked Nashua... Which made me think... I've never even set foot in Nashua! (the job is for my wife).

Boating will be the biggest downside to this move! I've never lived anywhere but a coastal community. Nashua is almost an hour from the water. I guess my choices would be Newburyport, MA, or Great Bay, NH.

Any thoughts on what would be a better family boating port? I'm strictly a recreational boater that picnic style boats with my wife and 6 & 8 y/o kids. I inshore fish for Stripers, Mackerel, etc.

I know if an out of state boater docks a new boat in Maine, the state will go after sales tax on the unsuspecting flatlander. I would imagine Taxachusetts would be of the same mindset, no?

Any insight to the area/move would be appreciated.

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
Thanks BOSBoatMan. Are there marinas in Hampton / Seabrook? I know traffic is a bear around Hampton Beach.

For this year, we'll keep the boat in Maine. Already paid for the season, and have enough stuff to do with the move. We'll be checking stuff out closer for next year...

No more after work/school trips around the harbor on a whim :(

Ripcat

Commander
Hey Mousetrap. I live in Portsmouth, NH and keep my boat at Great Bay Marine. We chose that marina due to it being in the bay versus out near Hampton...the bay has a feel more like Casco Bay (I moved here from Portland as well). Currents rip through there so docking is sometimes challenging but nothing that can't be overcome with a few practice sessions and we've really enjoyed it thus far. Best of luck with your move and if you have any other questions let me know.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Thanks BOSBoatMan. Are there marinas in Hampton / Seabrook? I know traffic is a bear around Hampton Beach.

For this year, we'll keep the boat in Maine. Already paid for the season, and have enough stuff to do with the move. We'll be checking stuff out closer for next year...

No more after work/school trips around the harbor on a whim :(

Ian,

I boat out of Newburyport but Portsmouth/Kittery would be "better" I think for cruising around.

There is no "good way" to get ANYWHERE from Nashua. !! LOL :D

Hampton/Seabrook is very nice too but summer traffic in and out on the weekends??? Very very tough !!

You are a RRT correct ????

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
Ian,

I boat out of Newburyport but Portsmouth/Kittery would be "better" I think for cruising around.

There is no "good way" to get ANYWHERE from Nashua. !! LOL :D

Hampton/Seabrook is very nice too but summer traffic in and out on the weekends??? Very very tough !!

You are a RRT correct ????

I thought Maine was king of you "you can't get there from here". But looking at the map, looks like Nashua to points east... the same.

I'm no longer state licensed as an RRT. I've been around long enough that I don't have to recert for the NBRC, but I don't know that it would take to get my license back (wish I never let it lapse). I am currently licensed as an RN in Maine though.

capt.dan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Topaz
Mousetrap, I lived in Nashua for 5 years it's about 45mins with no traffic to newburyport, which is where I keep my boat and there's really good striper fishing there. Nashua is a great little town. Check out marthas exchange in town they have some great beers. I live in merrimack now which is just up the road from nashua. Maybe I'll join you for a pint someday there if you'd like
Dan

offshore31

Captain
Mousetrap

I live just north of Capt Dan and have worked in Nashua for 25sh years. Nashua's a nice little place. I used to boat out of Newburyport, but moved my boat up to Portsmouth. I find it easier for me to get to the boat in Portsmouth, and the river in Portsmouth much easier to navigate than the Merrimack. Hampton is tough getting in/out of on weekends, definitely stay away from there. If you're leaving your boat in maine, check out Great Cove Boat Club, and York Harbor. Both easy to get to and have decent access to good fishing.

Let us know when you're down this way and those of us in the Nashua area can hook up. Best of luck.

Coastal

Lieutenant
I think you would have most fun out of Portsmouth. There are a fair amount of waterways to explore, good fishing, and the Isles of Shoals just offshore.

jsakovits

Captain
Boat Make
36' Calvin Beal
My vote would be Portsmouth. Altough there are a number of great marinas, If you are adverse to current Little Harbor is the place to be.

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
Thanks guys. Good information. I will absolutely take people up on meeting for a beer, as I won't know anyone in the area. We'll be there the last week of June.

joelucci33

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.nepoutdoors.com
Ian, Nashua is not bad..the surrounding towns are really nice..still pretty rural compared to the city. I live in north salem boats in the MMR..its a quick drive for me through backroads...about 15 20 min...MMR is nice once you get use to the currents and such

Top Bottom