Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I don't think it will last long on the market at that price.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
I agree, no better boats around for that price that I know of.

RyanA

Lieutenant
Being newly converted to the cloth of the Downeast boat, I feel like I've only heard about these boats recently. I'd love to more about them. Is there a thread where the 36 and the 38 have been discussed so we don't have to rehash it all, or maybe this is a good place to start that discussion now that a beauty is on the market here.

What's the story with these hulls? I've only heard good things, but wasn't paying much attention as I never see them for sale.
Any idea what this one cost when she was new?
Thoughts on what it would cost to build this one new as is?

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
2000 Genral Marine 31 duffy Hull
Being newly converted to the cloth of the Downeast boat, I feel like I've only heard about these boats recently. I'd love to more about them. Is there a thread where the 36 and the 38 have been discussed so we don't have to rehash it all, or maybe this is a good place to start that discussion now that a beauty is on the market here.

What's the story with these hulls? I've only heard good things, but wasn't paying much attention as I never see them for sale.
Any idea what this one cost when she was new?
Thoughts on what it would cost to build this one new as is?
I'm guessing $425k . It's a great looking boat.

Last edited:

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
Wow - reminds me of an equally pleasing looking boat in Marion Harbor called Gunsmoke minus the tower...Truly a nice one right here.

dino

Lieutenant
Boat Make
so25, clc16
Beautiful boat. You'd think for 1/4 million you'd get a foil rudder.

Dino

Ditchdigger

Captain
Loved the Stern drive on Yacht world. Guess every boat is a stern drive. One way or another !!! Beautiful boat. Sawzall will take care of the bridge thing.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Very nice. Except I'd be worried about the so low hours on the engine. Sitting there doing nothing is the worst thing you can do to a boat engine.

Last edited:

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Very nice. Except I'd be worried about the so low hours on the engine. Sitting there doing notrhing is the worst thing you can do to a boat engine.

There is nothing wrong with 100 hours a year on a pleasure boat, provided it was maintained properly.

dino

Lieutenant
Boat Make
so25, clc16
Why would you want one? Please explain.

Because a foil rudder is more efficient. It produces less drag when providing side force (lift) than a slab rudder. The rudder post down the middle makes things worse as water will not flow smoothly around a cylindrical cross section when the rudder is set a'midships creating more drag than a foil. The slab rudder will also stall at lower rudder angles (angle of attack) than a foil as the flow will remain attached longer while the slab flow will break out sooner.

Dino

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
So on a foil rudder the rudder shaft does not run top to bottom? Are they mainly glass rudders or ss that the shaft is attached just at top and bottom? I googled it when you originally posted and all I found were glass sailboat rudders.

dino

Lieutenant
Boat Make
so25, clc16
I've seen the glass ones built like you describe over a stainless tube. Both halves layed up in molds the joined around the tube which should ideally be placed at the center of lift of the foil usually 25% aft. Small rudders could be cast in brass with a flange on top or socket to accept rudder post. Otherwise large ones are built up in steel from ribs and skinned. A cheaper version could be ground to approximate foil shape from a plate and rudder post join line faired with thinner plate so cross section would be foil shaped. Maybe you could fill with epoxy filler goo.

From what I've seen stock usually goes about a third if the way down rudder. It is a structural issue.

The medium speed rudder shown Boat rudders is the idea.

Dino

Last edited:
Top Bottom