MR10 poly carbonate

pugsley

Captain
just about unbreakable, can't see thought it after a year or so, you can polish it up but never seems to be the same (to me)

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I love it and have used it several times on different projects. If you specify Mar-Gard-Lexan (or equal), it is scratch proof, UV resistant, you can run wipers on it, it does not sweat or fog in cold weather and is more than 20 times stronger than safety glass, actually bulletproof.

The only downside is that it is flexable so if it is not thick enough, it could flex and blow out of a frame in a green water hit.

pugsley

Captain
I love it and have used it several times on different projects. If you specify Mar-Gard-Lexan (or equal), it is scratch proof, UV resistant, you can run wipers on it, it does not sweat or fog in cold weather and is more than 20 times stronger than safety glass, actually bulletproof.

The only downside is that it is flexable so if it is not thick enough, it could flex and blow out of a frame in a green water hit.

you never had any trouble with it clouding up?

bolt it, and you don't have to worry about popping out of the frame

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Pug, no problems with clouding. Three applications I've done. Sailboat side windows 1/2" 10 yrs. clear and not scratched; Bruno windshields w/ hinged helm window 1/2" hinges and latches bolted to Lexan w/o frame around it, other two 3/8" in frames, 12 yrs. at least; Willard 22" radius curved corner windows 1/4" bolted FL boat 9 yrs. no wipers stored outside, still fine. Have current pics of all 3 have attached curved job only.

Island Seeker 06-07 059.jpg

Island Seeker 06-07 005.jpg

Last edited:

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
how did you get the curve on those nice job

Lexan can be bent to a radius of 1/100 it's thickness cold and without loss of strength (not the Mar-Gard because it has a hard coating) so I just made a pattern out of paper, predrilled, then bent & bolted (a 3 man job).
I like the military look but they could have framing I guess.

Lexan can be bent cold in a regular sheetmetal brake to 90 degrees without problems (padding of brake required)

Lexan can be 3D formed in an oven "drape formed" over a mold but requires 400+ degrees as I remember.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Looks good who carries it? I love the dog in the pic BTW

I got most at Cadillac Plastics in Boston but there should be a plastics distributor nearer you in Providence. You are looking for scratch resistant polycarbonate MarGard Lexan is the GE brand name. Also check ebay for good buys but make sure what you are getting is scratch resistant. BTW Lexan transmits more light than glass...

Dog= Belgian Malinois

Last edited:

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
31JC, I don't know what size or thickness you are thinking of but lots of cutoffs for sale on ebay.
Let us know how you make out on your project

Top Bottom