Boat Make
Wellcraft Coastal 2800

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User
Last edited:

BSEA

Lieutenant Commander
It seems that certain boats may have design influence from the interior space to the exterior and that often explains the positioning of in the hull side ports or hull side fixed picture windows. That MR54 seems to be a rational blend of several traditional and several modern ideas. Awesome blend of both IMO. There is no shortage of cutting edge craftmanship and technology where that boat was finished.

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
I would agree with that. I see a lot mass produced boats and semi mass produced boats. To be honest I don’t like what I see.
The more I think about this I see a few more positive points. So in theory this would make having a boat built cheaper and be more profitable for the builder. Now that could make it a bit cheaper for the guy that still wants a complete custom boat. My fear from earlier was DE’s would end up like the Clorox bottles I work on with hidden components, wiring, and hoses. Engine beds not bedded properly and etc.
Im not sure it would be cheaper. Automation is very expensive to set up and also requires a lot of space under roof. Quicker delivery time most likely.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Just need Viking to open a DE division
Unless you are willing to drop at least $1.5M and up, on a boat I doubt there is much money in it for an outfit like that.
It is the small shops that are feeding you guys everything you want but are unhappy with the result. Be careful what you wish for. When the small shops are gone so will be all your custom ideas and your opportunity to get a truly custom built Maine boat.

NC_Colfax

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
Unless you are willing to drop at least $1.5M and up, on a boat I doubt there is much money in it for an outfit like that.
It is the small shops that are feeding you guys everything you want but are unhappy with the result. Be careful what you wish for. When the small shops are gone so will be all your custom ideas and your opportunity to get a truly custom built Maine boat.
My comment was tongue-in-cheek as I doubt Viking would get involved in the DE business (but I might'nt have thought they'd build center consoles a couple years ago either). I wouldn't imagine an outfit like that would get involved in anything <50'. But there are some folks out there who would trade the customizability for a set delivery date and a million QC checks, along with the service network. I don't necessarily think that would mean the death knell for small shops.....plenty of custom builds up and down the East Coast every year, that compete directly with Viking.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
My comment was tongue-in-cheek as I doubt Viking would get involved in the DE business (but I might'nt have thought they'd build center consoles a couple years ago either). I wouldn't imagine an outfit like that would get involved in anything <50'. But there are some folks out there who would trade the customizability for a set delivery date and a million QC checks, along with the service network. I don't necessarily think that would mean the death knell for small shops.....plenty of custom builds up and down the East Coast every year, that compete directly with Viking.
I understand what you are saying John, point taken.

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
I was introduced to the owner of Viking and he was tell us how many boats they sold at the show. He asked me what kind of boat i had. When i said i had a DE his face curled up like he had just seen a car accident. I think your right.

Top Bottom