First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
Thanks steve. I was hoping that someone would know a little about the deck tiles. I have never had them before. Is that why there is so much space in between them?? What kind of tar am I supposed to use?? And how do I replace the damaged tiles??

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
Thanks, I love the hull. I am not sure about the isuzu yet. I really dont know much about them but from what people have told me they are good little commercial engines. This one is quite rusty, but it supposedly has less than 4000 hours on a re-build, Hopefully it will serve me well. I am certain that I will be having questions as this goes on. The boat seems fishable as she sits and I intend to do so for this season, But she will soon need some work.

Some of the wiring is a little old and will soon need replacement, There are alot of rusty hydraulic lines that will be getting weeded out one by one. The engine and transmission are very very rusty and will be getting removed at the end of the season for a thorough paint job. The engine is hard mounted on oak girders that are fastened to the stringers which I will be replacing with steel girders at that time. Will most likely stay with the solid mount set up though. She currently has a shaft log with bronze hardware, I will be installing a FRP tube and a larger shaft as well at the end of the season.

But all and all said, I really like this boat and it will be a vast improvement over my 26' webber cove. I have heard great things about the 31 bhms, And I have seen them in action on some shitty days I am sure that she will serve me well. I am also very excited to have an open stern so that I can fish larger trawls and will no linger have to stack gear. Also this boat will carry at least double the traps that my last boat did.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Thanks steve. I was hoping that someone would know a little about the deck tiles. I have never had them before. Is that why there is so much space in between them?? What kind of tar am I supposed to use?? And how do I replace the damaged tiles??

The last boat that i fished on with bridge planks we tarred the seams with one of those cone/funnels that they used to tar the gaps/cracks on the roads with. They heat the tar in the cone then just walk along the road sealing the cracks, the cone has a lever on it by the handle to control the flow of the tar. Thats what we had on the boat but i don't know where you'll find one of those these days maybe a case of beer when you find a road crew doing that job :p and they may forget to pick one up off the side of the road.
We used white line paint to paint the planks, it last a long time and the white color keeps the tiles cool in the summer so the traps,wire baskets and or anything sharp doesn't sink into the softened planks. I'd think any industrial paint shop will have the paint.
I think Hamiltons still has bridge planking. I never replaced any so can't tell ya how to get them up, maybe with the cold your having try one of those ice choppers or a square ended shovel, maybe with the cold the adhesive will just crack off ??

Last edited:

plyandglass

Lieutenant Commander
new ride

John,
Awesome looking ride ,wish you well with her! wish a could jump on something like that but goin to finish up the Sisu.

jnoon

Lieutenant Commander
I recall WoundUp had a blue Isuzu in his 30 YB that had a rust ball turbo.
The engine ran fine.
Nice 31 BHM, you'll have fun in that boat.

I had an Isuzu in my last boat and it was a rock solid, problem free motor. Good luck with your boat.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Congrats on your battleship. Rock solid boats

Top Bottom