My Project - 40' Young Brothers

Brainey

Captain
First Name
Bill
Boat Make
43' Atkinson
Guys,
I'm about 2 years into my rehab of a 1989 40' YB; found this site several months ago and wanted to post my stuff.

I bought the boat (the old Midnight Sun) from a board member, moved it from NY to Virginia Beach VA, and have been working on it ever since.

Out came the DD 12V-71 and in went the Cummins 6CTA. Dry exhasut to wet; removed wheelhouse bulkhead, radar arch, bow pulpit and rail, and about 3' of rotten wheelhouse roof. Reconfigured engine room vents, installed helm chairs, tackle locker, fighting chair, and rocket launcher.

Down below I've removed the shower and installed a small galley with freezer, recovered the cushions and general cleanup.

My list of things to do includes a transom fish box, cockpit steering, and finishing off the cabin clean up. Also need to finish painting the wheelhouse both inside and out and will paint the hull at some point.

Very happy with the performance so far; 2300rpm gets me 15 knots burning about 12gph. I moved from a 26 Regulator, which is a great, fast sea boat, but I am now in much better shape at the end of the day and catching just as many fish! Not too many DEs down this way but the locals love it.

Keep up the good work on the board.

DSCN1411.jpg

DSCN1390.jpg

Rainey 002.jpg

Boat2011_001.JPG

Lucky Jack 5.jpg

Lucky Jack 10.jpg

Lucky Jack 4.JPG

lucky jack12.jpg

Lucky Jack 9.jpg

Lucky Jack11.jpg

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Sweet ride! I wouldn't have given up hot showers for a galley down though

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Very very nice rehab/repower job!

If you haven't already you might consider an extra high temp coolant switch on the top of the exhaust manifold on the 6CTA (1/2" NPT) and a "loss of raw water" alarm switch.

Cheap insurance to prevent and overheat on a "fluke" event.;)

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Looks great, but that steering wheel is way too big for a Maine boat. T-boat?

Top Bottom