My Rare Boston Whaler Mischief 15'

Discussion in 'Skiffs and Small Work Boats' started by CaseyMarie, Nov 20, 2018.

1. CaseyMarie

CaseyMarie Member

Boat Make:
    Blue Seas, Boston Whaler
    One of 72. Really fun little boat, I have been towing it around with my Downeast, using it as a big tender/bay boat. I have wanted to own one of these since I was 10.

Attached Files:

TedFJ40 and AW_Holland32 like this.
  2. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, Grady white 268 Islander 250 OX66, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    Great hull, I have a 15 Sport. Would love to find a red mischief.

How is it walking on the bow of those like landing on a beach?

CaseyMarie likes this.
  3. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    When Sidewinder meets Whaler and they have a few drinks together............;)

CaseyMarie likes this.
  4. CaseyMarie

CaseyMarie Member

Boat Make:
    Blue Seas, Boston Whaler
    The red ones are neat, real eye catcher. You get so many thumbs up in these boats, its fun. The bow deck is very solid, it has a support leg under. You can walk on it just find, but there's no rail to hold onto, so it might be tough if the boat is rolling etc. I spent a lot of time compounding, and then I put woodys wax on the nonskid on the bow. It looks great, but it made the non skid slippery. I'm sure that wax will wear down eventually.

5. ARC

ARC Senior Member

I was interested in towing my 15 SS with my Eastern. can you give me any tips on towing.

ARC,
    CaseyMarie likes this.
  6. CaseyMarie

CaseyMarie Member

Boat Make:
    Blue Seas, Boston Whaler
    Well my boat is slow, I cruise at 10 knots even when I'm not towing. But she doesn't seem to mind, barely notices, towing the little Whaler, even up to 10 knots. I run a long 5/8" twisted tow line from one stern cleat through the bow eye in the Whaler, then back to the other stern cleat. This gives me a nice long bridal, which helps center the Whaler, and allows for double the stretch ability since its twice as long as a single tow line. A twisted tow line will stretch, thus absorb shock, much better than a braided line. I try to position the Whaler bow so its riding on the backside of one of my following wake/seas. Not so much so that the Whaler is climbing a hill all the time, but so its not surfing down the wave behind it. It's my opinion that the faster you tow, the more stress and strain you are putting on the towboat, the tow line, the Whaler and the hardware.

7. BOSBoatMan

BOSBoatMan Captain

Boat Make:
    1992 Nauset Bridgedeck Cummins 6BTA & 1995 GW Escape 175 Yamaha & 2013 Carolina Skiff J12 25 Yamaha
    I thought it looked familiar. I crossed you in my Nauset going up the cove at the Back River. You were just off the fuel dock at Hingham Shipyard. This was about a month and half ago.

Do you belong to Town River? I think your last picture is at TRYC.

CaseyMarie likes this.
  8. CaseyMarie

CaseyMarie Member

Boat Make:
    Blue Seas, Boston Whaler
    Oh really, I must have missed you, I would certainly recognize your boat. Yes, I am a TRYC member. My boats bounce back and forth between TRYC and the back river.

9. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    Since you were 10? Guessing you are 41 now? Wanted one when I was 12 and I am 43. Sweet little ride! Nice work finding one and actually buying it. Seen a few and kicked the tires but couldn’t convert.

10. CaseyMarie

CaseyMarie Member

Boat Make:
    Blue Seas, Boston Whaler
    Here I am in 1990 at the helm, I was 10 years old. My dad worked for Boston Whaler and was able to take new boats home for our family to use on weekends. For my brother's birthday weekend he brought home this bright red Mischief. As you can imagine my brother and I were drooling over this little speed boat. Since that day I have always loved these little boats and swore I would own one someday. I'll never let it go.

Attached Files:

Red1beard, El Mar, tailhook and 2 others like this.
  11. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, Grady white 268 Islander 250 OX66, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    E003A648-8F8D-499C-AFCD-D8F01490C399.jpeg 76B100D2-D5B6-4090-930F-414E3CBE2627.jpeg C9F6E067-4E5A-4358-8A80-6266446E5C0E.jpeg

We had a 15 sport in the family when I was around 10 back in the 80s. Same thing loved the boat so much bought one about 8 years ago. The 15 is probably the best riding whaler of the classic smirked hulls. Great boats.

I have towed ours behind the Tiara at 18-20 knots.

CaseyMarie likes this.
  12. OLD BAY

OLD BAY Captain

Boat Make:
    Wasque 32
    Wow!! I’ve often wanted to tow out 16’ Nauset but I’m not knowledgeable enough to tow it at speed.

Growing up we also had a Whaler, and that was how I commuted when I was 13 in the ‘80s before I could drive.
    Now my kids are teenagers and blast around the Severn River in our 1961 Nauset. It’s a great way to build skill, confidence and a love for the water. They rescued a peregrine falcon in it once!

[​IMG]