Nantucket Commercial Towing Options

Tmccar1

Lieutenant
Website
www.EastCoastWreckDiving.com
Boat Make
Magna
Hey everyone,
Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum but don't know where to ask. Does anyone know what my options are as far as commercial towing offshore of Nantucket. TowBoat US only operates up to 25 miles and i'll be almost double that on some of my Andrea Doria trips I plan on running. Thanks for the help!
-Tom

greg

Captain
I don't think sea tow has a limit, but they will charge you $100/hour (plus the $169 membership fee) if you are commercial.

It's tough if you don't have a network.

Tmccar1

Lieutenant
Website
Boat Make
Magna
Hi Greg,
I called up Boat US and Sea Tow in the area. Neither have a boat capable of that distance offshore. However, that $5k of out of area coverage SeaTow has looks liket the best bet.

The gentleman from Sea Tow said you'd be looking at an offshore tug type service or even having the coasties tow you into Nantucket, then Sea Tow comes in from there.

-Tom

Edit: The TowBoat US which is located in Falmouth (farther than the Nantucket guy) will run out that far. HOWEVER, they don't offer commercial coverage for Inspected vessels (over six passengers). Might have to go through SeaTow and have them call TowBoat Us with that $5k of out of area coverage. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

starrfish

Commander
Boat Make
35 duffy
how big is the boat? i have towed numerous boats,or delivered fuel, from south of the island / veaches, hydro etc.

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Both Towboat and SeaTow are at my marina -you are looking at ~30' dual 250 HP OB powered aluminum RIB tow boats. They both have coverage to ~20 miles out; Hooter east of MV and the bell south of Nomans to the west.

The Towboat US guy is "interesting" and annually reminds me "I will go 100 miles out"; I am not so sure he has the experience to back up the talk.

I would not count on either as the answer.....

Tmccar1

Lieutenant
Website
Boat Make
Magna
Both Towboat and SeaTow are at my marina -you are looking at ~30' dual 250 HP OB powered aluminum RIB tow boats. They both have coverage to ~20 miles out; Hooter east of MV and the bell south of Nomans to the west.

The Towboat US guy is "interesting" and annually reminds me "I will go 100 miles out"; I am not so sure he has the experience to back up the talk.

I would not count on either as the answer.....

Yea when I called the Towboat guy on Nantucket he said he'll only run out about 20.

I think it comes down to having that outside of area coverage for $5k and finding someone, or anyone with a towing endorsement and a boat large enough, that'll come out. Actually if nobody is willing to come you're almost better off because the Coast Guard will tow you into their range and they don't charge. :D But they wont help unless there's no other choice.

Top Bottom