Nauset/Coastal/Tripp 24

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Anyone have experience (good or bad) with any of these boats? I'm going to be doing a full rehab of a Coastal 24 and would like to convert from gas to diesel in the process. Just doing research at this point while I wrap up another boat project. I think Royal Lowell did a decent job designing this one. A bit beamy for obtaining the ultimate fuel economy, but it sure adds to stability while drifting. I have had it out in some pretty nasty stuff already and must say I'm impressed.

Coastal 24 Add.jpg

Nauset 24 is Coastal 24.jpg

Tripp Angler Add.jpg

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
Looks a lot like the current nauset 25, which is not a downeast, but a hull from Florida.

Beamie

Commander
Since 2000 I have owned a '86 Nauset 249 Comm hull, hardtop. I don't think FL Tripp sells this model, only the nice finished ones. Still have a 260 HP Carburated 350 in it so can't tell you the best sized diesel for it. Although I and most would prefer diesel over gas when I go to repower I will most likely go with a new 320 HP 350 MPI. The fuel economy of these is much better and imho close enough to diesel numbers as to be the better cheaper choice. I have been happy with the boat. It is a great stabil fishing platform but you have to pick your days....it is still only 24' and just wont act like a 30+ foot boat on a nasty day. I cruise at 3300 doing 18kts on good days with a square 16 prop, otherwise in the slop your down to 14 or you will take a beating. I removed the original 2-30 gal fiberglass tanks installed 2 35's and a 23g. Hope your project goes great.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Thanks for the feedback Beamie. You must like it if you have owned it that long! This one has the 310 HP carbureted motor but only runs about the same 18 knots @ 3300 rpm. I suspect the prop was not changed when it was repowered, but it was splashed on very old bottom paint by the previous owner and there is a ton of growth on it at the moment. Most likely a combination of both. I'll figure that out when it gets hauled in the near future.

Beamie

Commander
Not sure why but the Coastal name didn't last too long. This mold went from Nauset to Coastal to FL Tripp. I can't confirm but heard rumors about the quality of the Coastal name boats, don't know. They are not extremely heavy duty boats. 4500+ pounds or so. Not laid up heavy but heavy where it has to be. 18 knots is a good speed. On FAC days when you punch it up mine will do 23 but you can feel it wanting to walk a bit if you hit some wake. You should enjoy it. Any lots of room in the cockpit for a 24 9 boat.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
The fit and finish on the Coastal is not what I call "yacht quality" at this point, but even if it was at one time, the boat was "rode hard and put away wet" before I acquired it. She will need some structural work under the deck, and a new aft deck in the cockpit as well. Someone cut it full of holes and installed leaky plastic hatches in it. Although it runs good, handles great, and looks O.K. from 50 feet away, it's still an old project boat. I think you're dead on with the 18 knot target. It seems to like that speed........and I will like it even more (someday) at 5 GPH!

NausetBruno

Ensign
theres a ton of nauset 24s in my area. great small boat for the money, easy to drive, trailer, never seen one yet with a diesel though. every single one 350. i'd call ron directly at nauset marine and he could give you a good input as he knows these boats better then anyone

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Yes , I will be sure to contact Nauset as well as Tripp before any modifications begin. We don't have any in my area (that I am aware of) that I can use as reference material. I do have a trailer for seasonal hauling and storage which will be nice.

mikeytuna

Ensign
Yes , I will be sure to contact Nauset as well as Tripp before any modifications begin. We don't have any in my area (that I am aware of) that I can use as reference material. I do have a trailer for seasonal hauling and storage which will be nice.
Hi I am new to this forum, I bought a 24 tripp angler center console this spring, 18 knot at 2100 rpms 350 carb. I like the 9.6 beam , I also prefer diesel but for what it would to switch is more money than I would use for gas in my life time , I keep it at f l tripps , someone told me that a bmw diesel would be a good fit for that boat ?? who knows , good luck with yours .

CRABBYPATTI

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM
Hi Keel I had a 25 foot Steiger and we did a Repower back in 1999 -2000 went from gas with I O to a Yanmar 190 horse with a Mercury duoprop We sold the boat about 3 years ago and still doing well Try to speak with some Marina s in your area who will do a lot of Repower those guys may have some of the answers your looking for Top speed isn't what you need just a comfortable cruise In general we burned less than 5 gallons a hour with conditions and load Find the right weight of motor may make a difference for your boat it did for mine as at the time it was the lightest I could go as it sat a little lower at the water line and had to plug the scuppers if weighed down Best move though was going to diesel Good luck and keep picking someone s brain till your happy

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Good luck with your boat Mikeytuna. Was that the dark blue one kept on a mooring in Bristol R.I.? I enjoyed mine while I owned it. My plans changed when another boat came my way and I sold it to another forum member here. Now he is having all the fun while I am grinding fiberglass. ;)

mikeytuna

Ensign
Good luck with your boat Mikeytuna. Was that the dark blue one kept on a mooring in Bristol R.I.? I enjoyed mine while I owned it. My plans changed when another boat came my way and I sold it to another forum member here. Now he is having all the fun while I am grinding fiberglass. ;)

mikeytuna

Ensign
Hi Keel, I bought through F. L. Tripp and sons , came in from Essex ct. owner died and his son did not want it , I will try to post a pic. soon

Beamie

Commander
It looks to me looking at that last pic that FL Tripp may have dropped that keel a bit to pick up some more Prop swing. Plus that rounded sand shoe. Mine is straight and with a 16Dia prop is maybe 2" away from the hull.

Good luck with it.

Ben Zehnder

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Flowers 25
I’m partial to the Tripp Anglers. Carl Tripp brokered our boat purchase down in Westport about five years ago and was a real gentleman. There were a number of Anglers there and they look so classic.

mikeytuna

Ensign
I’m partial to the Tripp Anglers. Carl Tripp brokered our boat purchase down in Westport about five years ago and was a real gentleman. There were a number of Anglers there and they look so classic.

I also have a 18 ft. Tripp Angler , might sell as I am a 3 boat owner .

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I'd say that 3 boats per owner is about average around this website. You're hanging with a pretty sick crowd here. There really should be an intervention section added. :D
List it in the classified section with some nice pictures. Somebody will want to add to their fleet.

Top Bottom