NavChart Software

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I need an inexpensive way to get charts on my computer, just looking to get distances, etc. I am not looking to navigate on my computer or anything. I will not have an internet connection to access these charts either.

I know years ago I had a USB device that plugged my Standard Horizon CMAP charts onto my laptop, it was sweet because I could get distances and even make waypoints to move to the big computer.

I'm basically going to be at sea and just want to plot these distances electronically for some planning. Any idea's out there? Cheapest for a laptop is the key, thanks...

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I do have an I-phone but do you need to be connected to the internet to use it? As I will not have it...

osprey47

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Joe
Boat Make
BHM 36 w/ Yanmar 6LYA-STE
If you have access to the web, then use GeoGarage - Route Preparation but I guess that depends on whether you plan to use for planning --perfect -- or will be offshore without access to the web via cell data.

If you don't have web access, they you need something resident on you PC. Fugawi and Rose Point both make reasonably priced charting software and use free NOAA ENC charts --downloadable from NOAA. You will need a USB GPS (very cheap) if you want to chart your current position relative to a destination/route.

maineguides

Lieutenant Commander
I do have an I-phone but do you need to be connected to the internet to use it? As I will not have it...

I have te navionics app ($10)on my I phone that is awesome. The charts are loaded on my phone so you don't need a cell signal or Internet for it to work. I'm not sure but you might be able to find a way to download it on your computer
through iTunes.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Maineguide, thanks for the tip... I ended up getting it tonight and its perfect. Even better when I'm over at my inlaws or at a bar can zone out thinking about what I am going to do...

Funny but a month or so ago I downloaded some other ones and didnt end up keeping them. I thought I saw Navionics for like $70 or something... that is perfect... Thanks

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
For a computer based program, I'm an absolute fanatic for the TimeZero based planning/navigation programs by Nobeltec and Maxsea. Alot more than the Navionics app, but provides a lot more of course. Nobeltec Odyssey and MaxSea TimeZero Navigator are basically identical, and have the ability to be fed data via NMEA 2K and 0183 if you were so inclined, but it uses raster and vector charts from NOAA, and is fast as lightning when redrawing. Retail is $450, we sell them for $355. You can also plot courses and marks and load them to the NSS, and visa-versa. Just awesome stuff. Trident and Catch, actually interface with Furuno NavNet3D radars and Furuno ethernet sounders, unbelievable what it can do. It's what I plan to run onboard my boat when I finally actually HAVE a boat. (Close to pulling the trigger on a General Marine 26 over the next month, just waiting on some oil samples.

Nobeltec Odyssey With Video

Top Bottom