Navigational Aids/ Rules of the road

clearcan

Lieutenant
First Name
Rob
Boat Make
Starwind 19
I sure wish more people knew these.
maybe it’s all the newbies on the water due to COVID, but here on the Severn River this year it seems like there are no rules...
Agreed there! Many times this year i have been under sail maintaining my course and i have yahoo's come zipping up thinking i'm going to give way... in case of an imminent collision sure but otherwise i'm going to follow the rules of the road.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Someone please infiltrate the sailing world and tell them they DO NOT always have the "right of way". It makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up when I hear that.

Rule 2 being the most important of all!

Gayle Force

Lieutenant
Boat Make
25 ft Tiara Pursuit, 27 ft Eastern, 28 ft Carolina Classic
Boaters not understanding the basic rules of the road is the reason i try to avoid weekends midday in August.

clearcan

Lieutenant
First Name
Rob
Boat Make
Starwind 19
Someone please infiltrate the sailing world and tell them they DO NOT always have the "right of way". It makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up when I hear that.

Rule 2 being the most important of all!
shame on those sailors who don’t give way to commercial fishing or those of less maneuverability. Also if they are running their motor and sails, never really understood that anyways, but then they’re a powerboat at that point. My comment is strictly to the guys this year running to great bay in their Mako’s who come within 20 yards and not having a clue or a hair of patience while moving through Ferber Stait.

Bpd92

Commander
Lite User
First Name
Brian
Boat Make
35 Duffy

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Quite a few stories chalked up this season. Someone was actually tubing through the Old Saybrook train bridge on the main channel no less.........ugh. Just last week I was taking our 13' whaler up to our mooring and came across a 22' dual console boat that was just out of the channel. The motor was off and the people seemed in a daze. I had to ask 4 times if they were alright before I even got a reply. So they had bumped bottom and thought it was the end of the world. They didn't even realize that the boat was fully floating and only the prop and skeg were making contact with the bottom. They were about to deploy one of the guys to get out and try to push the boat off the bottom.......in a ripping out going tide on the CT River. I told them to trim the motor up and I gave them a little tug back towards the channel and they were free. Just the moving current would have done it most likely. They left in haste and a few minutes later the police boat showed up in response to a 911 emergency call. Go figure. Newbies are everywhere this year!!!!!! Glad that guy didn't make it into the water or it would have been a REAL emergency.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Funny story, as the mates were bringing out brand new drillship into an African port for a crew change, they forgot that navigation bouys were reverse in some parts of the world and damn neared ran us over a sea mount that would have ripped us open like a tin can. How the Captain caught it in time still amazes me. Even professionals have bad days.
IALA A and IALA B, I remember learning about it. Never have seen the opposite of what we're used to. Makes you realize the importance of pilotage.

CaptShip

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Coastal 24
Funny story, as the mates were bringing out brand new drillship into an African port for a crew change, they forgot that navigation bouys were reverse in some parts of the world and damn neared ran us over a sea mount that would have ripped us open like a tin can. How the Captain caught it in time still amazes me. Even professionals have bad days.
And that is why, for professionals, passage planning along with bridge team management is required.

Following the posts here, members are always seeking local knowledge and are passage planning before they go to, new to them, places.
Seems like common sense and experience prevails around here.

Hopefully the numerous "newbies" we are seeing on the water this year will learn quickly or give it up. Suggest best to assume the person at the helm (if it isn't on autopilot) of the boat zooming full speed at you has no clue and plan your action accordingly.:eek::mad:

Top Bottom