Need help with an old outboard

Toots

Lieutenant
Got this 1984 Evinrude 40hp (E40ELCRM) from a guy in Bath, super clean and got a good deal. It had been sitting for two years inside his basement before I got it.

It's been in my shed all winter on an outboard stand, and it will not tilt up. I can confirm the tilt/run switch is functional and that cable is not broken. FYI this is a manual (tilt assist) motor. I loaded the tilt tube hinges with PB blaster and tried to get grease thru the zerk in there, waited a couple days, but still no dice.

Is it a bad idea to use some blocking and a pry bar to try and get this thing freed up? Anyone dealt with something like this in the past? Last thing I want to do is break something but i can't get it out of my shed without tilting it up!

IMG_2913.jpeg

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Toots

Lieutenant
I don't see any grease coming out there. Are the zerks frozen ? If not heat will get it done. Heat only the inside lugs where the zerk fittings are. Oxy torch if you have or can get one. Propane won't work there unless it is just barley frozen. (Propane is to slow and will heat the whole assembly which wont' usually work because everything will expand at the same time.)

Dont have one of them! The zerks must be gunked up, cause I didnt realize that grease should come out the inside

Also, starboard side zerk is broken/missing

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made
Last edited:

Kailua Kid

Captain
Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
Dont have one of them! The zerks must be gunked up, cause I didnt realize that grease should come out the inside

Also, starboard side zerk is broken/missing
Go slow. PB Blaster, tap tap tap with dead drift mallet; repeat. Might take a week of tapping away at it, couple times per day. I would go to heat as a last resort, assuming you have some time before you need to put that motor into service.

Toots

Lieutenant
Guys at Bamforth seem to think its the "tilt assist" cylinder. Gonna take it off the stand tonight and remove the cylinder.

thanks for the advice folks

Bait Bagger

Lieutenant
A thumbs up for the guys at Bamforth, good people. Decades of experience with OMC.

rich

Lieutenant
Sometimes the old grease will harden like cement. Had this happen with an old teleflex steering cable. The grease in the tube where the teleflex goes through the motor was so hard nothing would move. Had to remove the teleflex and clean all the old hardened grease out of the tube. Steering was fine after that.

You may have a combination of the old grease has hardened and the new grease isn't getting through to lube where it needs to lube.

To answer your first question a little nudge with a crowbar or prybar might help. Don't put a lot of muscle behind it but sometimes a little help solves the problem.

Toots

Lieutenant
thanks for the advice. Applied PB blaster sporadically over a couple weeks. Got it freed up and its tilting, albeit very roughly and takes a whole lot of strength to get it up and down. Tilted it about 10 times up and down and was exhausted.

I took the zerk off and its full of gunk and the threads were falling off. Going to buy a new one and hopefully the inner threads aren't ruined so I can replace it and get some more grease in there.

thanks again

Toots

Lieutenant
Anyone know someone in mid coast area that could help me get this thing running?

It's an 84 so no yards will touch it. Thanks in advance

Wescustogo

Ensign
Anyone know someone in mid coast area that could help me get this thing running?

It's an 84 so no yards will touch it. Thanks in advance
Stetson & Pinkham in Waldoboro work on older outboards, mainly Mercury but they might take a look at yours if they have the time. Their lead technician Lincoln Davis is one of the most knowledgeable outboard mechanics around and I'm sure could get it running if he has the time to work on it. If it has spark and good compression, all it should need is a carb cleaning, water pump, and new gearcase oil. The parts are easy to come by and it's a fairly simple job.

Top Bottom