Need help

Gps98

Lieutenant
Hi guys, like many others I am looking to buy my first downeast boat and need some guidance. I fish out of south jersey and am looking for a boat capable of fishing 4-6 men overnight in the northeast canyons. I would prefer a solid glass boat, single diesel, get around or over 2nmpg and cruise 17-20knts. I would like to stay around 30k cash but can go higher. I'm not opposed to buying a gas or diesel boat that will need repower in the next few years if I find a deal. I really like the 26' general marine and 28' bhm but are they to small for what I'm trying to do? Will they fish 5 overnight with canyon load? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to email me [email protected] thanks

greg

Captain
I'm assuming when you say $20k cash, that is your down payment?

I used to take my parker 25 to the canyons including overnight. You can do it it, but on a small boat you really max out at 4 people (maybe 5 for day trip).

The reasons are comfort more than safety (though you get many fewer days to fish). With a small cuddy, you can only sleep one at a time, and almost nobody will sleep down there while the boat is running in any kind of sea. You also have no place to get warm, no hot food, and no hot coffee (thermos's don't work unless you fill them just before leaving, which can be a hassle). Also, gear stowage is a problem.

At 35', you can have 3 bunks plus a galley and maybe a convertible dinette or bench seat. You will run into gear stowage issues though, but its manageable.

If $20k is your target, I doubt you will find a canyon ready downeast. You might find an older outboard in that range, but even then you are approaching the value of the engines alone.

Gps98

Lieutenant
Thanks guys, 30k is what I have to spend without financing, but I don't know if 30 will cut it, so I willing to go a little higher. I really want to stay between 26-32'

Ditchdigger

Captain
Thanks guys, 30k is what I have to spend without financing, but I don't know if 30 will cut it, so I willing to go a little higher. I really want to stay between 26-32'
I don't see that happening for that $$$. Beat up stuff goes for twice that in the D.E. market. Canyons are a FAR RIDE.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
General Marine 26 will not work on a canyon load with 5 guys. I used it on overnight bluefin trips and day canyon/shark trips. I had one for four years and that is THE ONLY reason I sold it.

Gps98

Lieutenant
General Marine 26 will not work on a canyon load with 5 guys. I used it on overnight bluefin trips and day canyon/shark trips. I had one for four years and that is THE ONLY reason I sold it.

Thanks dude, that's exactly what I needed to hear. Just to tight? How did it ride with 4-5 guys with gear and full of fuel?

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I think I've seen the Booby hatch fishing in the canyons YEARS ago, maybe, not sure, but it struck out at me...

Gps98

Lieutenant

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
That first fortier is unlike any fortier ive seen before but i really like it. The second was a charter boat outta harwich that fished for a real long time so its gonna have some wear. Great boat though, remember being passed by it in our 22' CC in the afternoon slop on nantucket sound.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
I know not one of the boats I linked up. I was just trying to throw some options out there for the OP in the 30K range.

Finding a decent down east canyon boat for 30k isnt gonna happen IMHO.

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I've run perhaps 60 trips on a twin engine sport fish to the canyons and I can assure you that 3 is far more comfortable than 4 on an overnight and 5 is completely impossible. I'll sell you my old Carolina classic 28 for 35K firm, it will get you there and back just fine at 22 knots, but upkeep and
maintenance of any canyon ready boat, downeast, Parker, or sport fish is probably going to run you a good percentage of your 30k. Each year!

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Gps98,i would look at the 1st Fortier and the two Henriques Maine Coasters....they are priced right for 33 to 35 foot boats

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
BOAT= Break Out Another Thousand (old definition)

Now it's more like "Break Out Additional Thousands"

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
I dont know how others do it but we always try and keep 2 guys awake all night on the hook. Ive been the one guy awake and it SUCKS. You dont want anyone to get smoked. Doesnt sound like you are looking to commercial fish so comfort and enjoyment is really the order of the day. I would venture to guess the 35ft range would be more your speed. We used to canyon fish a big torres and even that got to feeling snug with 5 guys on multi day trips. Cant forget recreational fishing is all about fun in the long run.

Top Bottom