Neptune Marine Trigger Entrence

eivindbs

Ensign
First Name
Eivind
Hi all,

Have anyone tried out Neptune Marine Trigger entrances in their lobster traps? Skjermbilde 2020-11-17 kl. 15.49.18 1.png

Do they work?

Ive read that 94% of lobsters entering the pot escape before hauling, so there should be a better way to keep lobsters trapped, or what?

Thanks!

MarketPrice2020

Lieutenant
I love to hear opinions on these for fish pots as well. I saw a few pots rigged with these for seabass and blackfish and they caught well. Not trying to hijack your thread at all. Just adding to it if that is okay. Thank you.

MarketPrice2020

Lieutenant
Hi all,

Have anyone tried out Neptune Marine Trigger entrances in their lobster traps? View attachment 94555

Do they work?

Ive read that 94% of lobsters entering the pot escape before hauling, so there should be a better way to keep lobsters trapped, or what?

Thanks!

Where do you find these? Are they at all the big suppliers? I am going to try some in some different fish pot designs. Thank you

MarketPrice2020

Lieutenant

How do you think they set those fishtec traps up? Very interesting fish trap. Curious to know how they work and how they are rigged etc. If i could figure out a way to get these to stay on the bottom they would pot seabass and blackfish really well! Thanks for the link!

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
How do you think they set those fishtec traps up? Very interesting fish trap. Curious to know how they work and how they are rigged etc. If i could figure out a way to get these to stay on the bottom they would pot seabass and blackfish really well! Thanks for the link!
black cod are deep like 100 fathoms on the shallow end and they get those pots down there so i think you could fish them in the water you fish.

MarketPrice2020

Lieutenant
black cod are deep like 100 fathoms on the shallow end and they get those pots down there so i think you could fish them in the water you fish.

Thank you for the feedback. Got in touch with the company right away. They gave me plenty of information and helped me step by step. Very interesting how they set these pots up. Thanks again for the link. Really informative company if anyone else is interested in contacting them.

MarketPrice2020

Lieutenant
Also wanted to give a shout out to Neptune Products. Spoke to Ed. Full of information, very friendly and a tremendous help. Very excited to try out some of the products they offer for pot fishing. Thanks again.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Thank you for the feedback. Got in touch with the company right away. They gave me plenty of information and helped me step by step. Very interesting how they set these pots up. Thanks again for the link. Really informative company if anyone else is interested in contacting them.
if they sent you any info on the cod pots could you send it to me in a pm? I'd like to take a look at it.

John Hobby

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
2000 Eastern 2710, 6BT Cummins
I got curious after Steveinak posted a few web sites. I emailed Neptune and asked about the lobster traps also. Ed got back to me, said he was going to send me a few to try. Said he tried it years ago and realized the lobster did not like the flaps, hard to climb in on. Was working with some Maine guys. So he changed it up and now has a mesh bottom to the head with the finger sides. Says the bugs can walk up that and are not bothered by it. I will not be able to try till next year, seasonal license and all, but might be cool.

When I get them I will post some pix of them in hand.

MarketPrice2020

Lieutenant
I got curious after Steveinak posted a few web sites. I emailed Neptune and asked about the lobster traps also. Ed got back to me, said he was going to send me a few to try. Said he tried it years ago and realized the lobster did not like the flaps, hard to climb in on. Was working with some Maine guys. So he changed it up and now has a mesh bottom to the head with the finger sides. Says the bugs can walk up that and are not bothered by it. I will not be able to try till next year, seasonal license and all, but might be cool.

When I get them I will post some pix of them in hand.

Ed is awesome. I will be using the triggers to make fish pots for seabass scup and blackfish

John Hobby

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Ed sent me this photo. It shows the triggers in the crab traps. He said he would send me the trigger entrance with the metal mesh floor for the bugs here in NE. If I get them I will post them for sure. We have all watched the Go Pro's from underwater showing them coming and going out the hoop in the kitchen tunnel head. Why would this not work? I have hoop gates on my parlor entrances, and actually thought of installing them on my kitchen hoops. So, same deal right? Now if we can devise a item to keep out spider crabs!

Attachments

• Triggers.jpg
    Triggers.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 7

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
these triggers have been around for a long time i bet they have been tried in lobster traps many times and if they worked the entire fleet would be using them wouldn't they ? Hoop gates work because they are very lightweight and have almost no resistance to the bugs when they push past them and they only block about 1/2 of the opening of the hoop this is my opinion on them. Many years ago when i lobstered i knit the heads so when pulled the rear head had a nice floppy flap to block the head entrance they seemed to fish well for me, this was in wooden gear then switched to wire gear, those had vertical hoop opening in the front and a hake mouth rear and those fished very well, i would haul them on overnight sets and would do a couple pounds per trap at times but it didn't double on 2 or 3 nights, i think you catch whats around the trap quickly and then its a slow dribble to catch more. I hauled my shrimp traps on 2-3 hours and always caught more than a overnight set. I built a "new style" shrimp trap last year and they just killed the shrimp with them on a longer soak 6-8 hours but my old style traps fished better on shorter soaks.

ED 24x36 5.jpg

ED rigid pot with customer.jpg

ED 24x36 doug.jpg

ED keith rebuilt pot.jpeg

John Hobby

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
I do agree, if it has been around I am sure it was tried. I would like to try it myself and see what's up. He did say the new wire mesh floor is an improvement. I also agree on a shorter set. With lobsters, seems like no more that 3 to 4 days give you what you will get, at least in shore where I fish. Then they will start killing each other. Also run out of bait. I even tried the pot lights this year. Got them from a company in England called Fishtek. $5.00 each. Ran on two AA batteries. Water activated and the batteries last maybe almost a month. Easy to change. Can't say if I saw more in the trap or not. But was willing to try them. Those are some huge shrimp! That looks like a fun fishery! Was also using hog hide and cow hide as bait. Stinks like shit but last for a bit longer than fish. No replacement for fish though. Kinda use both at the same time.

MarketPrice2020

Lieutenant
Awesome photos!

these triggers have been around for a long time i bet they have been tried in lobster traps many times and if they worked the entire fleet would be using them wouldn't they ? Hoop gates work because they are very lightweight and have almost no resistance to the bugs when they push past them and they only block about 1/2 of the opening of the hoop this is my opinion on them. Many years ago when i lobstered i knit the heads so when pulled the rear head had a nice floppy flap to block the head entrance they seemed to fish well for me, this was in wooden gear then switched to wire gear, those had vertical hoop opening in the front and a hake mouth rear and those fished very well, i would haul them on overnight sets and would do a couple pounds per trap at times but it didn't double on 2 or 3 nights, i think you catch whats around the trap quickly and then its a slow dribble to catch more. I hauled my shrimp traps on 2-3 hours and always caught more than a overnight set. I built a "new style" shrimp trap last year and they just killed the shrimp with them on a longer soak 6-8 hours but my old style traps fished better on shorter soaks.

View attachment 95512

View attachment 95514

View attachment 95515

View attachment 95516

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I do agree, if it has been around I am sure it was tried. I would like to try it myself and see what's up. He did say the new wire mesh floor is an improvement. I also agree on a shorter set. With lobsters, seems like no more that 3 to 4 days give you what you will get, at least in shore where I fish. Then they will start killing each other. Also run out of bait. I even tried the pot lights this year. Got them from a company in England called Fishtek. $5.00 each. Ran on two AA batteries. Water activated and the batteries last maybe almost a month. Easy to change. Can't say if I saw more in the trap or not. But was willing to try them. Those are some huge shrimp! That looks like a fun fishery! Was also using hog hide and cow hide as bait. Stinks like shit but last for a bit longer than fish. No replacement for fish though. Kinda use both at the same time.
in the shrimp fishery those lights are like a "OPEN" sign in a diners window to the octopus, all thats left are empty shells they suck the meat out of every shrimp in the trap.
pot and octopus.jpeg

Top Bottom