New 29' Duffy 29H Outboards

JoFishes

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Seaway, Kinnamon, Carolina
No on the review. Nice lookin ride though. Any idea of the sticker price?Just curious...........and you know why I'm askin.;)Jo

8943post

Commander
Boat Make
33 Duffy
I can't comment on the design but can say that working with Atlantic Boat on our new 33 Duffy was a real pleasure. Good Guys to work with! No issues at all with our boat to date.

Redwing

Ensign
Insider info on the Duffy 29

The Duffy 29H

Any reviews on this new design?
We just completed sea trials on the new outboard version of the duffy 26 which we are calling the 29H. The 29 comes from the fact that we stretched the 26 hull out to just under 29 feet with a fiberglass hull extension / motor bracket for mounting the outboards.

Probably the most controversial part for readers of this site, besides the outboards, is we put a blocker in the hull mold so the boat was built without the back part of the keel. This is the same keel configuration we have used on numerous twin engine 42's, one 46, several 48's, a 56 as well as an outboard 30 and an outboard BHM21 so it is not exactly a new thing. We left the deep forefoot and the forward built down area in place to keep the sea keeping but removed the narrow back part of the keel because outboards do not like having a keel in front of them. One big benefit of this keel configuration is that the boat banks into a turn rather than turning flat the way downeast boats with full keels do. Turning flat did not used to be a big deal when 15 to 18 knots was cruise speed but now with customers wanting 25 knot plus cruise speeds banking into the turn is a big advantage.

The new boat was built with twin 150hp Yamahas and tops out at 31+ knots @ 5700 rpm. She does 20 knots at 3800, 22K at 4000, 24k @4400, [email protected], [email protected] Fuel burn @ 25k is 15 GPH.

With the hull extension the boat runs at a flatter running attitude than the 26 does. She does WOT tight turns with ease, tracks well and takes a chop in typical Duffy fashion. The boat is a hell of a lot of fun to drive.

Having outboards we were able to get rid of the engine box that the Duffy 26 has been plagued with from day one. The outboards are way quieter than any diesel, no mater how good a insulating job is done. The cockpit seems huge to me with the engine box gone and the engines behind the transom.

We used a solid glass hull, solid glass wash rails, the house and cockpit deck are foam cored. The glasswork is all done to American Bureau of Shipping Standards so it is built like a tank. Down forward is finished off with a foam cored molded liner. There is a V berth and an inclosed head. Up top we had helm and navigator seats as well as a couple of aft facing bench seats all mounted on a composite cabinet with some built in storage.We have four flush hatches accessing storage below decks, all hinged with gas shocks. The customer for this boat is not a fisherman so there is not a rod holder to be seen but this would make a great fishing boat and that was our primary interest in developing this boat.

We will be posting pictures soon on our web site, for more information including pricing you can contact me, Nate Hopkins directly through Atlantic Boat - is that legal to say here?

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
We just completed sea trials on the new outboard version of the duffy 26 which we are calling the 29H. The 29 comes from the fact that we stretched the 26 hull out to just under 29 feet with a fiberglass hull extension / motor bracket for mounting the outboards.

Probably the most controversial part for readers of this site, besides the outboards, is we put a blocker in the hull mold so the boat was built without the back part of the keel. This is the same keel configuration we have used on numerous twin engine 42's, one 46, several 48's, a 56 as well as an outboard 30 and an outboard BHM21 so it is not exactly a new thing. We left the deep forefoot and the forward built down area in place to keep the sea keeping but removed the narrow back part of the keel because outboards do not like having a keel in front of them. One big benefit of this keel configuration is that the boat banks into a turn rather than turning flat the way downeast boats with full keels do. Turning flat did not used to be a big deal when 15 to 18 knots was cruise speed but now with customers wanting 25 knot plus cruise speeds banking into the turn is a big advantage.

The new boat was built with twin 150hp Yamahas and tops out at 31+ knots @ 5700 rpm. She does 20 knots at 3800, 22K at 4000, 24k @4400, [email protected], [email protected] Fuel burn @ 25k is 15 GPH.

With the hull extension the boat runs at a flatter running attitude than the 26 does. She does WOT tight turns with ease, tracks well and takes a chop in typical Duffy fashion. The boat is a hell of a lot of fun to drive.

Having outboards we were able to get rid of the engine box that the Duffy 26 has been plagued with from day one. The outboards are way quieter than any diesel, no mater how good a insulating job is done. The cockpit seems huge to me with the engine box gone and the engines behind the transom.

We used a solid glass hull, solid glass wash rails, the house and cockpit deck are foam cored. The glasswork is all done to American Bureau of Shipping Standards so it is built like a tank. Down forward is finished off with a foam cored molded liner. There is a V berth and an inclosed head. Up top we had helm and navigator seats as well as a couple of aft facing bench seats all mounted on a composite cabinet with some built in storage.We have four flush hatches accessing storage below decks, all hinged with gas shocks. The customer for this boat is not a fisherman so there is not a rod holder to be seen but this would make a great fishing boat and that was our primary interest in developing this boat.

We will be posting pictures soon on our web site, for more information including pricing you can contact me, Nate Hopkins directly through Atlantic Boat - is that legal to say here?

Thanks Nate for the thoughtful response and review. Photos of the keel would be very beneficial, as that seems to intrigue many of us.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Anything is legal here!

Nate- I think you have a winner in your new 29' outboard. Sounds like you designed it right and the performance numbers are really good. If I had a pure pleasure boat, I would prefer outboards because of all the reasons you list. I think in certain applications the outboard is a really great option to offer. Best of luck, and post some pictures.

Last edited:

Ebornstein

Lieutenant
I saw that but I still did not see any displacement numbers. I am assuming between 9 and 10k lbs??

Redwing

Ensign
The displacement is #6000 with a 9'-6" beam, so trailerable yes, with a big truck.

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John

So just to clarify, the actual hull was not lengthened, the extra ~3 ft comes from the engine bracket, correct?

Hey Nate...might be a good idea to give us an idea of pricing for your new 29.
Welcome back! Dave

agreed, I'd be interested in what the ballpark is on the the boat on the website. Simple finish, not a lot of bells & whistles, just a nice little cruising/fishing boat.

Redwing

Ensign
Base boat, 200 yamaha single, head, helm seats, Vee beth, e mail me and I'll send you a complete description, is 169k.

And yes,' the hull extension is a fiberglass extension we built to extend the hull and make a motor bracket. It is built separately from the hull, bolted and glued on with 5200. See pictures here The Duffy 29H

JDTOOM

Lieutenant Commander
I wonder what the difference would be in cost of ownership between the 29h and a similar 26 diesel. Beautiful boat; best of luck.

Towboat

Lieutenant
Base boat, 200 yamaha single, head, helm seats, Vee beth, e mail me and I'll send you a complete description, is 169k.

And yes,' the hull extension is a fiberglass extension we built to extend the hull and make a motor bracket. It is built separately from the hull, bolted and glued on with 5200. See pictures here The Duffy 29H

Price seems reasonable to me. Any of the better quality production center console or walkaround boats like Edgewater, Grady, Boston Whaler etc are going to be in that price range & when you compare overall scantlings, build quality, seakeeping, etc there's no comparison.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Lifting rails

Nate- I noticed your 29 Duffy has lifting rails on it. What kind of performance differences do you see in lifting rails versus no lifting rails? Nice boat and your price seems reasonable for such a nice boat.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom