New 40' Lowell

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
We've been working on the new 40' Lowell for about a month. Engine, shaft, prop, rudder, bow thruster tube, spray rails, lifting rails, and the lower bunks and floor are in. Working on some of the fish hold bulkheads and building the stringers to set the 400 gallon fuel tank on. Only pics I have are of the prop and rudder, which look really sweet. Check out the water flow to the propeller, pretty nice ;).

P82A0088.jpg

P82A0090.jpg

P82A0091.jpg

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Prop is a 28x32 Michigan DQX, engine is 9 liter John Deere 500hp at 2,400 rpms, 2:1 reduction ZF Transmission. Estimated top speed, 25.5 - 26 knots.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I would agree- what is the bottom post sitting in if you dont mind me asking? Custom made and if so how?

The bottom post of the rudder sits in a bearing, that is welded on top of stainless steel plate. The SS plate is mounted flush onto the solid fiberglass skeg with 3/8" screws.

Powderpro because I like snowmobiling in the powder. The Rocky Mountains have the best powder riding; Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Colorado. My favorite place to ride would probably be Cooke City, Montana.

Last edited:

noreaster

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Viking 43 SOLD, now looking to DE
Very cool. Stretched 38 or different beam? Dont see it on their site.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
You are right, the waterflow to the prop looks amazing..Thats my biggest problem with my 35jc. The water flow sucks. Im tempted to start chopping the keel and changing the tube and keel over to something that looks like yours here.

Beautiful boat and good luck with the build!!!

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Very cool. Stretched 38 or different beam? Dont see it on their site.

It's the Lowell Bros. new 38', stretched to 40'6", same beam as their 38'. My hull is the 2nd one from the new molds.

You are right, the waterflow to the prop looks amazing..Thats my biggest problem with my 35jc. The water flow sucks. Im tempted to start chopping the keel and changing the tube and keel over to something that looks like yours here.

Beautiful boat and good luck with the build!!!

Thanks Master, in about a week I will be posting some more pictures of the build.

noreaster

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Viking 43 SOLD, now looking to DE
Very nice. Are you bringing the deck geight all the way up to near the top of the hull height? Where are you finishing her?

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Very nice. Are you bringing the deck geight all the way up to near the top of the hull height? Where are you finishing her?

It's being built in the Midwest, it will be outfitted in Washington. Heading to Alaska next summer for salmon gillnet fishing. I've attached a drawing of what the boat should look like when finished, with the bold black lines showing the approx. height of the deck and cabin floors. Definitely not a normal downeast boat, but it will work nice for me, and the hull design will be excellent for offshore Alaska fishing.

As always looks like nice neat work
Nothing a grinder with course grit won't fix :).

Dejunkie

Banned
I Love the keel taper to this and the wesmac you built, not sure why other builders are not using this method?

tuna_fan

Captain
First Name
Eric
does that zinc prop nut replace the collar? better performance with that ? never saw one.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
does that zinc prop nut replace the collar? better performance with that ? never saw one.

There is a nut underneath the large zinc. The zinc attaches to the prop nut and is obviously replaceable. I don't think it's better performance, but offers a convenient way to get a zinc on the shaft. They have worked good for me so far.

Top Bottom