New Automatic Chunker

Kaiser

Lieutenant Commander
So some of you on here have purchased my Kaiser twist tools and ,I think for the most part, are very satisfied with the product. Well I have a new project that I am thinking about. An auto chunker. It has been built, tested, and most importantly helped us put fish in the box.

The concept is based on a square 4 gal chum bucket so it is much , much easier to handle and store than the other one on the market. It also runs on 12v and can not be submerged like the other but will spit out a flat of butter or sardeens or even a mix of chunks and chum in about 1hr to 1.5 hr. Of course you cant go to sleep and expect it to keep chunking but if you check it every 20 min you can just dumping chunks in and focus on the rods.
I can bring this to market for about $225 BUT................ I think I need to patent it and that will cost $5K min and likely up towards $10K. So I say to myself, s*&t you got a great product that can really help catch more fish while easing the absolute misery of chunking but I need to sell a pile of them to pay for the patent costs.

Additionally, I am in the process of producing an attachment that will cut the chunks buy just tossing them in but that will add another $200 to the market price. Still cheaper than the other but may price it out of the one on every boat market.

Whatya Think?

Kaiser

Lieutenant Commander
Are you talking about something similar to a "chucker"? Any pics or a video of it running?

Similar in that they both distribute chunks of cut fish out slowly over a period of time. Yes. Physically and mechanically, No.

Sorry I can be more detailed but I need to protect my idea.

I am sorta trying to do a market survey here.

bluefin650

Commander
Similar in that they both distribute chunks of cut fish out slowly over a period of time. Yes. Physically and mechanically, No.

Sorry I can be more detailed but I need to protect my idea.

I am sorta trying to do a market survey here.

I can understand that. I'm sure will have interest but may have difficulty getting someone to commit to buying without seeing it.

Kaiser

Lieutenant Commander
I can understand that. I'm sure will have interest but may have difficulty getting someone to commit to buying without seeing it.

Sorry, I was unclear. I am not asking anyone to buy one now. I am looking for feed back as to would you consider buying one at that price point assuming it performs as described.

Its really hard to get my arms around the market size. If its 1000 units a year off to patent attorney office I go. If its 20, I will just build a few for the guys I know

I guess could hire a firm to do a market servery for $20K and possibly still not know the market size.

I think I am going to build 5 and place them with some hard core charter guys free of charge so I can get some unbiased pro feedback and build some credibility to the design w/o disclosing the details to the public.

Kinda sucks being all secret.

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
225$ is a reasonable price point for nice to have, but not critical equipment like this. I'd take a leap of faith t that price, but would not consider it at 4-500$.

Kaiser

Lieutenant Commander
225$ is a reasonable price point for nice to have, but not critical equipment like this. I'd take a leap of faith t that price, but would not consider it at 4-500$.

Backman, thanks for the reply, that's exactly what I am interested in.

My son, two friends and I got into a school of yellows mixed in with some pilot whales in Sept and limited out in and hour and a half. Could have been faster but we needed to use 20lb pink flouro to get them to bite so we had a lot of break offs. My little chunker kept the stream up nicely while we
"Played" That was fun!

tuna_fan

Captain
First Name
Eric
I think your price is very reasonable (@$250) for a device that was compact, could fit into a swivel rod holder (?) and hold about a 4-5 gallon bucket of chunks. I would make it "adjustable" as some like a lighter chum while others like to heave them over - depending on tide, conditions etc. An add on piece to make the cutting process easier would be a nice bonus $200 seems reasonable. It would be a big time saver, especially if you have guys on the boat that want to chum, but have no idea how to do it right (ie dump the bucket out and think they are good for the next 2 hrs).

For the patent - I would simply avoid it. I work in the product development field (consumer products) and we find that having a patent is all well and good, but you have to ENFORCE it if you feel someone is infringing on it. So, not only will you spend $$ getting the patent, you will need to spend 10x that much to enforce your patent if you feel someone is infringing it. We have had products that were DIRECT knockoff's of patented products that we own, and we have chosen to not prosecute because taking them to court would cost more than the POTENTIAL upside of a lawsuit. Just not worth it. Instead, put the $$ into developing the product properly, be first to market, use parts that are difficult to "knock off", price it right, produce in BULK and pass savings onto consumer, and it may take the incentive away from someone trying to compete with you. Trademark the brand name you are going to use (cheap and can be done online yourself), ie "ChumSlinger®" or whatever, start a facebook page, do some videos, and post on sites like this...remember the potential market is SMALL for something like this, so don't plan on selling that many right away.

That said - I would LOVE something like this if it worked well, was not overly expensive, would not take up a lot of space on the boat, was easy to clean, easy to operate, easy to fix. Put me on the list!

Kaiser

Lieutenant Commander
I think your price is very reasonable (@$250) for a device that was compact, could fit into a swivel rod holder (?) and hold about a 4-5 gallon bucket of chunks. I would make it "adjustable" as some like a lighter chum while others like to heave them over - depending on tide, conditions etc. An add on piece to make the cutting process easier would be a nice bonus $200 seems reasonable. It would be a big time saver, especially if you have guys on the boat that want to chum, but have no idea how to do it right (ie dump the bucket out and think they are good for the next 2 hrs).

For the patent - I would simply avoid it. I work in the product development field (consumer products) and we find that having a patent is all well and good, but you have to ENFORCE it if you feel someone is infringing on it. So, not only will you spend $$ getting the patent, you will need to spend 10x that much to enforce your patent if you feel someone is infringing it. We have had products that were DIRECT knockoff's of patented products that we own, and we have chosen to not prosecute because taking them to court would cost more than the POTENTIAL upside of a lawsuit. Just not worth it. Instead, put the $$ into developing the product properly, be first to market, use parts that are difficult to "knock off", price it right, produce in BULK and pass savings onto consumer, and it may take the incentive away from someone trying to compete with you. Trademark the brand name you are going to use (cheap and can be done online yourself), ie "ChumSlinger®" or whatever, start a facebook page, do some videos, and post on sites like this...remember the potential market is SMALL for something like this, so don't plan on selling that many right away.

That said - I would LOVE something like this if it worked well, was not overly expensive, would not take up a lot of space on the boat, was easy to clean, easy to operate, easy to fix. Put me on the list!

Sage advice brother. Thank you!

Had not thought about the rod holder but that is no problem.

Variable speed is difficult as the DC speed reducer is very sensitive to water and corrosion, even potted in Epoxy. So I have settled on a flat an hour discharge rate. this drive is rock solid.

I hang mine about mid ships so it is totally out of the way when the mayhem ensues.

tuna_fan

Captain
First Name
Eric
Sage advice brother. Thank you!

Had not thought about the rod holder but that is no problem.

Variable speed is difficult as the DC speed reducer is very sensitive to water and corrosion, even potted in Epoxy. So I have settled on a flat an hour discharge rate. this drive is rock solid.

I hang mine about mid ships so it is totally out of the way when the mayhem ensues.

Gotcha - hmmm - the adjustable flow is a nice feature, esp for the giant fisherman...I chum heavy at the tide shifts, and less during mid tides...but usually carry enough chum for 10 hrs of variable chumming...if I did a 50lb flat per hour, I would have to carry way too much chum...just something to think about...as it would be an important feature for a lot of your potential customers :)

DKD

Lieutenant
Boat Make
32 Holland
Make the paddles removable (add or take away) so you can control the amount of chum that way. This would eliminate the need for the speed control.

Kaiser

Lieutenant Commander
50 lb Flat? I always get 10 KG flats or 22.5 lb from sea freez I have gotten some 60lb box flats of butters from Town dock in Pt Jude. Cant say I have ever seen a 50lb

for conversation sake it chunks 22-30 lb per hr. 22 for butters and 30 for sardeens. pogies Macs dont know But would be in that range

there is a way to retard the flow

No paddles on this one!

IMAG0907.jpg

maineguides

Lieutenant Commander
I would pay that kind of money for a quailty product that works and was made to last. But I wouldn't buy it if I couldn't change the feed rate. A flat an hr I'd be broke in no time

ty/...Ct.

Ensign
Website
tunafishing.clearlight.com
Boat Make
34' Sportfish Twin Yanmars
I would be interested in buying your combo unit.
You might adjust width of paddles & # to slow rate of chumming, possibly producing different rates.
I presently use two chuckers, one on each side of boat with different size cut bait. Once I draw the fish in, I start the chucker with the bigger cut bait.
I also might be able to find you many new customers.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Kaiser

Lieutenant Commander
That will work but will die quickly in the salt environment. there is no way to expose the knob w/o water getting in. I guess I could enclose it in the waterproof box for the drive bit one would need to remove 4 screws to adjust speed.

There are much higher end controls that could withstand the environment but it adds $80 to the cost.

Need to keep the cost down.

Top Bottom