New builds with wood

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I still see many new builds using wood. Why not use composite for a better lasting boat? Assume it is strictly for cost saving?

Wood is cheaper, but it’s not cheap, it’s actually gone up a lot in the last decade. Having experience using both wood and composites, I would say that wood is a little faster and easier to use, so there is a small savings in labor. But using a composite core will make the boat lighter and longer lasting. Composite material is superior to wood in the harsh marine environment. I would never use wood core in a fiberglass boat, unless a customer requested it

offshore27ns

Captain
Boat Make
Wesmac
Wood is cheaper, but it’s not cheap, it’s actually gone up a lot in the last decade. Having experience using both wood and composites, I would say that wood is a little faster and easier to use, so there is a small savings in labor. But using a composite core will make the boat lighter and longer lasting. Composite material is superior to wood in the harsh marine environment. I would never use wood core in a fiberglass boat, unless a customer requested it

Makes sense. Assume same answer for deck beams etc?

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

NewEnglander

Lieutenant
First Name
Chris
Check out Kittery Yacht Yards build of a 32 Holland (Lady Erin). They used epoxy coated dug fir. The project manager found it cheaper than composites, as well as lighter. Also the project manager banked on the wood absorbing vibration and noise. You literally have to look at the gauges to check if the engine is running. Som of that is the engine some of it is the way she was built.
Jerry, do you have a link to that project? Would love to take a look.

leaky

Vice Admiral
Maybe powderpro can confirm but I think in boat building labor costs outweigh all else.

If wood gets you there a little faster and its a little cheaper, with cost as the #1 consideration wood wins.

Wood can last really well if done right and I think if one selected say okoume (25% lighter than typical plywood) and 2 part epoxy resin (requires no csm, so shaves a lot of weight) an outstanding boat could be finished that way. But doing it well the labor would be significant, fully encapsulating cores takes extra time, epoxy requires tight windows for laminating without prep and always requires prep for finish coating.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

leaky

Vice Admiral
IMO ventilation is more important than incapsulating.

Maine folklore :)..

I don't doubt failing to glass the underside of plywood can be partly countered by good ventilation.

But the top of a deck has excellent ventilation and it would have a very short life expectedly without the glass.

You can possibly get away without the bottom because it doesn't see as much water. Ideally it sees no fresh water, which is what absolutely kills wood. It definitely isn't better than completely sealing the water out.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Maine folklore :)..

I don't doubt failing to glass the underside of plywood can be partly countered by good ventilation.

But the top of a deck has excellent ventilation and it would have a very short life expectedly without the glass.

You can possibly get away without the bottom because it doesn't see as much water. Ideally it sees no fresh water, which is what absolutely kills wood. It definitely isn't better than completely sealing the water out.
wrong :rolleyes:

Top Bottom