New Down East Fan from Texas

Red Snapper

Ensign
Boat Make
'05 Twin Vee 26CC, Suzuki DF140's
I'm new to the forum but have been fishing the Gulf of Mexico out of Freeport Texas for 30 years. My son and I got sucked in and addicted to watching Wicked Tuna episodes. Those Duffys are very nice looking boats. I love the down east style boats, but we really don't see many down on the gulf coast. I think they have a great set up. Fuel efficient, lots of clean cockpit fishing room, dry wheelhouse to get out of the weather. I think they would be very practical down here for our Gulf Coast.

Other than the fact they are built way up there, is there an obvious reason why there are not more down here?

The first thing that comes to mind is maybe due to a single engine. We typically fish from 20-60 nm offshore when bottom fishing, and out to 100-120 nm offshore fishing for Yellowfin Tuna. I personally don't do the 100 mile tuna thing. I usually stay 60nm offshore or less.

The single diesel power seems pretty reliable. How far do y'all run offshore with the single set up?

Thanks in advance for any info. I am looking forward to reading here and learning more about the d.e. boats. I fell in love with the design at first sight.

Mike

chuggy

Lieutenant
Unsure why you don't see them, might be due to the fact that they are all built in New England area and haven't migrated south yet. Your assessments are all correct on the set up, efficiency, stability, etc. I have seen all sizes of DE offshore, 0-90 miles in the canyons, so it would work for you. I suspect if you look hard enough, you may find one in the south. You will certainly be the talk of the marina.

chuggy

Lieutenant
There is an optimal speed for them, around 15-22 knots, which could be the limitation on the long trips. If you power one real good, you could move pretty fast, but not quite like a boat with twins.

cpt.josh

Lieutenant
Boat Make
26'6 Prokat Badkittytoo
a large reason is cost of a deep water berth and draft constraints. couple that with the number of people who actually fish offshore enough to keep their boat in a slip instead of just a Boat on a rack or trailer. the majority of people who do keep a deep water slip and run or own offshore fishing boats tend to tournament fish which often requires the speed of either a go fast cc or a twin engine sportsfishers couple these with the lack of avalibility of de's. not to say a downeast couldn't fit and work well on the Texas coast. one could work very well actually. but the fishing regs on snapper and other bottom fish make it hard for it to be commercially viable and as a charter boat it could work but people often have a hard time justifying the extra ride time in the cost of a charter compared to a cc or sportsfisher. just my two cents as some one who has lived and fished in texas and ran a de here in the northeast. take it for what it is just an opinion and quick thought on the matter.

Red Snapper

Ensign
Boat Make
thanks

Thanks for the replies. I currently run a 2005 Twin Vee 26CC with twin Suzuki DF140s. Its a good little boat. She cruises nicely at 26-28 kts and gets 2 nmpg loaded w 4 guys, ice, gear etc and 150 gallons of fuel. I keep it in Freeport Tx at the dry stack marina, which is convenient. My 9 year old son loves to fish and he goes on most trips with me.

I know I am not making a convincing case on why I should move to a DE, which would mean wet slip, slower speed, bottom jobs, etc. I just can't help myself. I have the DE Bug. I love the design and keep finding myself back on this forum searching for info, pics, etc. We would like to move up to a larger cabin boat and I like the idea of great fuel economy with the single diesel. A DE may very well be in my future.

Maybe it reminds me of the Coast Guard days. As soon as I graduated high school, I served 4 years in the USCG 1987-1991. I ran a 41 UTB at Station Yankeetown Fl. I loved that boat, although it had twin cummins vt903m's, it kind of had the lines of a DE. Top speed 26 kts, good cruise at 20 kts.

The cold front pushed offshore this weekend. We are going Snapper fishing tommorow. I will look for the one DE boat I remember seeing and try to get a pic. The name on it was "Weedline" moored at Bridge Harbor Yacht Club.

Thanks for letting me be part of this forum. I love this place.

UTB-41.jpg

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
We have one of those 41 UTB's at school it rips hard!

Red Snapper

Ensign
Boat Make
No DE sighting

Well I didn't see the DE boat "Weedline" I was looking for, but we did have a flat day in the Gulf Wednesday. We stretched her legs and ran deep out 90 miles. Golden Tilefish, Barrelfish, Warsaw Grouper, and a limit of Red Snappers.

image.jpg

Top Bottom