New fuel tank

ccroke13

Ensign
Boat Make
Bertram
Hey all, I need to have a new fuel tank made for my 19’ Seaway, anyone in the New England that makes them? I’m in Quincy, Ma.The boat had no tank in it when I got it. Previous owner removed due to leaks and ran off portable tanks. I just finished cleaning up and inspecting the deck, stringers and transom(all was good) and would like to use the below deck space where the original tank was. Thanks

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I second Luther's. Send them a drawing of what you want and they will do a terrific job for you.

Cutty

Lieutenant
BD82E396-6084-48E7-BD68-BB9CEC8B1D0B.jpeg
I don’t think you’ll have any luck with a plastic tank. This is a 28 gallon Moehler tank sitting up against the cabin bulkhead in a 23 seaway with raised stringers. There’s plenty of room for the tank but at some point they switched from having the fill spout come off at an angle and there’s not enough room for the large hose. Maybe try to find the old style that turns 90 degrees off the top of the tank

BSEA

Lieutenant
I will also recommend Luther's. They put their name on everything they build, top notch fabricator. I have had 3 tanks from them in two different boats without any issues. On the subject of fuel tanks - does anyone have any reco's for see through material for the top of the tank inspection port? I have two 8" aluminum inspection ports that I would like to replace with glass or plastic that does not yellow or haze.

TAftw

Commander
If Luther’s is too busy I also recommend Kevin The Metal Guy in Newport. He does great work too

ccroke13

Ensign
Boat Make
Bertram
Like Cutty, I’m having the same issue. The Moehler tank will fit but not with the fill. I will reach out to Luther’s. Thanks guys

leaky

Vice Admiral
Keep in mind just because you can fit a custom fuel tank in an area doesn't mean it will work right. A long shallow tank can really be a bear.

Make sure your plan for fill, vent, and pickup all are sound and not just where they fit easy. I would think about redundant fittings, at least for the vent and pickup on opposite ends or middle of the tank, in case you realize plan A didn't work.

Top Bottom